Error with pve-ssl.key after Restoring Proxmox Node manually with Same Hostname and IP

NodExplorer

May 27, 2024
Hello everyone,
my intention is to back up the configuration of a Proxmox cluster from /etc and /etc/pve, transfer this configuration to a new cluster, and then rejoin it to the main cluster.
I'm experiencing an issue while restoring a Proxmox cluster with the same hostname and IP after a reinstallation. Here are the steps I've followed so far:

1. Reinstalled Proxmox with the same hostname and IP as the original cluster.

2. Transferred backup files to the server:
- `catalog.pcat1.didx`
- `etc.pxar.didx`
- `index.json.blob`
- `pve.pxar.didx`
3. Decompressed the backup files:

Bash:
   mkdir etc pve
  zstd -d /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.pxar.didx -o /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.tar
   tar -xf /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.tar -C /var/lib/vz/dump/etc
   zstd -d /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.pxar.didx -o /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.tar
   tar -xf /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.tar -C /var/lib/vz/dump/pve

4. Moved the extracted directories to their respective locations:

Bash:
mv /var/lib/vz/dump/pve /etc/pve
   mv /var/lib/vz/dump/etc /etc

5. Ensured correct permissions:

Bash:
chown -R root:root /etc/pve
   chmod 600 /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

6. Restarted relevant services:

Bash:
systemctl restart pve-cluster
   systemctl restart pvedaemon
   systemctl restart pveproxy

However, I encounter the following error when starting `pve-cluster`:

/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key : failed to load local private key at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 1996

The file permissions are:

-rw-r----- 1 root root 1675 Aug 31 2023 /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key

Can someone help me resolve this issue without regenerating the SSL keys?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
2. Transferred backup files to the server:
3. Decompressed the backup files:

Bash:
mkdir etc pve
zstd -d /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.pxar.didx -o /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.tar
tar -xf /var/lib/vz/dump/etc.tar -C /var/lib/vz/dump/etc
zstd -d /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.pxar.didx -o /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.tar
tar -xf /var/lib/vz/dump/pve.tar -C /var/lib/vz/dump/pve
These step do not what you intend them to do. You must use the proxmox-backup-client restore command to restore the backups from the PBS server, see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html to see how to use the cli tool and especially for restore https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#restoring-data

Also, a pxar archive is not a tar archive, see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/pxar-tool.html to operate on pxar files.

Thank you for your response and guidance. My intention is specifically to restore the configuration of the Proxmox cluster from /etc and /etc/pve. I now understand that I should use the pxar tool to handle these archives properly.

I appreciate the links and will follow the Proxmox Backup Client Documentation and the PXAR Tool Documentation to correctly restore the configuration.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your response and guidance. My intention is specifically to restore the configuration of the Proxmox cluster from /etc and /etc/pve. I now understand that I should use the pxar tool to handle these archives properly.

I appreciate the links and will follow the Proxmox Backup Client Documentation and the PXAR Tool Documentation to correctly restore the configuration.

Thank you for your help!
You can directly restore the files from the backup snapshot via the proxmox-backup-client restore command, no need to go over an intermediate pxar archive.

Also, you should follow https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_recovery

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!