Error while trying to join a cluster

NudgeyNMR

Sep 9, 2021
While trying to add a node to a cluster on the same LAN this error occurs.

root@pve2:~# pvecm add pve2
Please enter superuser (root) password for 'pve2': ********
Establishing API connection with host 'pve2'
The authenticity of host 'pve2' can't be established.
X509 SHA256 key fingerprint is 02:7F:C4:FF:4B:E1:FE: ......
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Login succeeded.
check cluster join API version
No cluster network links passed explicitly, fallback to local node IP 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
Request addition of this node
An error occured on the cluster node: can't lock file '/var/lock/pvecm.lock' - got timeout
Cluster join aborted!

Any ideas why this is happening and exactly how can or do i fix the issue ?

Now that i fixed my stupid mistake, i have another problem that is happening after i join the node to the cluster.

The node that i am adding to the cluster had a 'local (pve2)', 'local-lvm (pve2)' & 'nfs-storage (pve2)'.
Now after adding the node, 'local-lvm (pve2)' has changed to a '(?)local-zfs' with the error - 'could not activate storage 'local-zfs', zfs error: cannot import 'rpool': no such pool available (500)', 'local-lvm (pve2)' is no longer listed.

pve cluster.JPG
When i added the node there was no VM's on the added node.

Why has the original 'local-lvm (pve2)' disappeared and replaced with "(?)local-zfs (pve2)' without me making any changes to the storage on the node ?

Could you please post the output of the output cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg and lsblk from the pve2 node?

Hi,
when you join a cluster, the configuration in /etc/pve will be replaced by the cluster's, because that's the filesystem the cluster uses to share it's configuration. There is only a single storage configuration for the whole cluster (the file @Moayad mentioned). To make the LVM-thin storage visible to Proxmox VE again, add the following
Code:
lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content images,rootdir
        nodes pve2
and also restrict your local-zfs storage with nodes pve. This can also be done via GUI or the pvesm command.

The contents of /etc/pve/ from before joining the cluster should be backed up to /var/lib/pve-cluster/backup/.

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!