ERROR: VM 100 qmp command 'guest-fsfreeze-thaw' failed - got timeout

You first need to detach the disk, then re assign it using the SATA controller instead.
I have the same problem. But unmounting the drive also means that I have to completely rebuild the machine, right? With a new Sata drive, the machine can no longer boot and restore does not work, because then the IDE drive is back. Correct me if i m wrong

I don't know if this can help, but in my environment this problem appeared after changing mysql-8 to mariadb-10.9.3. (with mysql-8 backup works fine)

I have ~18 VMs in 3 node cluster based on PVE 7.2-7.
On all VMs i use Debian 11 and only on 2 nodes with mariadb error occurs. (most of the VM have scheduled everyday backup). Disk works as zfs-file. (converted from .raw which fail too)
Backup destination is NFS storage.

Now I test a workaround excluding qemu-guest-agent service. It seems to backup properly without it.

Last edited:
I have the same issue, it looks like its a Mariadb version issue, when I was running Mariadb 10.3, I was able to do snapshot backups, now on Mariadb 10.5 if I do that I have to shut off the LXC and turn it back to to make it work again.

Now I have a special backup job to "stop" the lxc and then backup them and don't have any issues but feels like this is a Proxmox issue combined with Mariadb 10.5 version +

I have the same issue, it looks like its a Mariadb version issue, when I was running Mariadb 10.3, I was able to do snapshot backups, now on Mariadb 10.5 if I do that I have to shut off the LXC and turn it back to to make it work again.

Now I have a special backup job to "stop" the lxc and then backup them and don't have any issues but feels like this is a Proxmox issue combined with Mariadb 10.5 version +
I am currently having this backup issue and it's only affecting 1 of my VM's. It's my Windows 11 VM that doesn't have much installed other than a hand full of generic applications. I'm pretty sure the problem started after I did my most recent update to Proxmox - which I hadn't done in quite some time.
When you say it's a problem with Mariadb - I'm assuming this is the db package installed within Proxmox and not something installed on the affected VM right?
If so, how do I tell what version of Mariadb I have loaded on proxmox currently? And also why would it only affect one VM if it was an issue with a proxmox app. You'd think all VM's would have an issue with their backups. But for me, it's only the one Win11 VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!