The hardware:
- 2 Dell 2900 Servers
- NICs are broadcom
- 1 Switch Gb/s unmanaged

The Configuration:
- 2 NICs on Bonding balance-alb
- 1 bridge

The Problem:
- If i use PVE 1.8 and do bonding balance-alb (or 6) works fine (I have it running since many years)
- If i use PVE 2.3 and do bonding balance-alb (or 6) works very bad, from power on, only some workstations can works with the VMs.
- All tested with the same hardware in production environment

My questions:
1- What is the problem?
2- How fix it?

Best regards
Cesar

Re-Edit: I did these tests:
Test 1:
PC-Workstation with NICs Realtek and with: disable multicast_snooping on bridge = I lost the PVE cluster communication
(may be that NICs Realtek are the worst there is, or the drivers are very old - typical in the kernel of Red Hat)

Test 2:
DELL R-710 and DELL 2900 (NICs are broadcom) and without: disable multicast_snooping on bridge = I lost the PVE cluster communication

Test pending:
The same as the test 2, but disabling the multicast_snooping on bridge

Final comments:

1- I anyway i don't know if the "test pending" will works well
2- The servers are in production and is very dificult turn them off only for do tests

Last edited:
I suppose that may be because Proxmox 1 and 2 are not supported [1] and you could look at upgrading to Proxmox 3...

If not, you could perhaps contact the proxmox guys for a support contract to cover those old versions.

[1] I read in a forum post that fixes won't be backported - which IMO is quite understandable from a maintenance burden perspective.

I suppose that may be because Proxmox 1 and 2 are not supported [1] and you could look at upgrading to Proxmox 3...

If not, you could perhaps contact the proxmox guys for a support contract to cover those old versions.

[1] I read in a forum post that fixes won't be backported - which IMO is quite understandable from a maintenance burden perspective.

Hi JimBeam

I know that PVE 1 and 2 aren't supported, but the latest PVE 2.3 with his upgrades/updates have the same kernel that PVE 3.x, so the problem with PVE 2.3 also must have it PVE 3.x, and for this reason i wait a answer about of this.

Best regards
Cesar

The same kernel? Are you sure? You know there was just a new kernel released again for proxmox 3, right?

The same kernel? Are you sure? You know there was just a new kernel released again for proxmox 3, right?

Hi JimBeam

Thanks for you notice

After read your words i updated/upgraded my PVE 3.x, and after i compare the kernels:

PVE 2.3 = pve-kernel-2.6.32-19-pve: 2.6.32-96
PVE 3.0 = pve-kernel-2.6.32-22-pve: 2.6.32-107

And correct, the kernels are different, so i transfer my questions to:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/14694-New-Kernel-for-Proxmox-VE-3-0?p=78222#post78222

( I wait that the PVE Developres answer me )

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!