[SOLVED] Error on backup

Ayrton5

Oct 23, 2023
ERROR: backup write data failed: command error: write_data upload error: pipelined request failed: detected chunk with wrong digest.

I've just set up a new backup server and this error occured whilst it was running the first time. A quick google leads me to believe this is memory related but I couldn't find much more than that; is it the source or the target with the memory issue? And how does one go about testing memory sticks?

Hi,
yes this is most likely an error related to memory. The chunks digest is checked when uploaded to the server, and it seems that the checksums did not match for one of the chunks. The data corruption might have happened on either side, source or target, so I would recommend to test the memory on both sides.

You can use the memtest utility which is part of the ISO installer.

Reactions: Dunuin
Thank you for the prompt replies. I've run the test - just the once - on each box, and they both passed. Again light googling suggests I leave the tests running over an extended period, is this the case? Is the memory likely to trip up with extended testing?

And if I can't find an error with the memory, what do I try next?

Last edited:
I think I've cracked it. I'm using non-ECC unbuffered RAM. Spec calls for ECC on a Gen7 microserver. It still hasn't failed the memtest but is that likely to be the issue in real use?

EDIT: Yes, that was it. I'm under way now.

Last edited:
I think I've cracked it. I'm using non-ECC unbuffered RAM. Spec calls for ECC on a Gen7 microserver. It still hasn't failed the memtest but is that likely to be the issue in real use?

EDIT:
Glad to hear that you were able to pinpoint the issue, please mark the thread as solved for others to find a solution more easily. Unfortunately memory corruption still is an issue nowadays. Out of curiosity, was it the host or the PBS server which suffered from the bad memory?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!