error login (ssh/console/gui)

proximity

Jul 19, 2019
There is an issue but I am having a hard time debugging it. I cannot login on the console. When trying ssh I get:

$ ssh root@192.168.100.250
-bash: /etc/profile: Input/output error
-bash: /root/.profile: Input/output error
Connection to 192.168.100.250 closed.

The gui shell gives: 192.168.100.250 took too long to respond.

according to the gui it is running:
Virtual Environment 6.2-10

on the console I just also saw some disk wardings:
EXT4-fs warning (device dm-o) htree_dirblock_to_tree:997: inode #1313149 lblock 0: comm systemd-tmpfile: error -5 reading directory block.

Any idea how to fix this?

thx,

hi,

on the console I just also saw some disk wardings:
EXT4-fs warning (device dm-o) htree_dirblock_to_tree:997: inode #1313149 lblock 0: comm systemd-tmpfile: error -5 reading directory block.
this is probably why you can't login... it seems your disk might be broken or damaged.

Do you have a suggestion on how to check and fix that? If it is not fixable can it be replaced?

if you have physical access to the server you should check the drive, you can try booting a recovery ISO with USB stick and see if you can recover anything from there.

of course the drive can/should be replaced but you'll lose any data that wasn't backed up

if you have physical access to the server you should check the drive, you can try booting a recovery ISO with USB stick and see if you can recover anything from there.

of course the drive can/should be replaced but you'll lose any data that wasn't backed up
I already did a fsck in single user mode but that did not do anything. If I dd the drive to a new drive (if possible) might that solve it or would it 100% still contain the error?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!