Error in "Storage Model" Wiki?

Jun 25, 2009
Zurich, Switzerland
Hello
i tryed this part of the "Storage Model" Wiki in
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
<part of Wiki>
Use local devices (like /dev/sd../, FC)

Before you can use local devices for storing VM´s you need to configure LVM2 for these devices on the console first.
This is a three step procedure (I just plugged in a 8 GB USB Stick for demonstration, recognized as /dev/sdl on my box)
First create the physical volume:
proxmox-ve:~# pvcreate /dev/sdl1
Physical volume "/dev/sdl1" successfully created
proxmox-ve:~#Second, create the volume group:
proxmox-ve:~# vgcreate usb-stick /dev/sdl1
Volume group "usb-stick" successfully created
proxmox-ve:~#And finally: Add the LVM Group to the storage list via the web interface.

</part of Wiki>
after having installed a PVE 1.4, i installed a sata 80G HD with only one ext3 partition /dev/sdb1

First two steps were successful, but the third with the webgui gives me:

Error: unable to parse value for 'vgname'

I have looked for that error in the forum but i did not find any solution.
Strangely, with an usb-stick it works

Last edited:
I am finally confused - what are the names of your volume groups? Please can you post the output of:

# vgs

unfortunately, i cannot start vgs as in the meanwhile i am in italy, and have no access to my server.

But as i wrote, i used the name "80G" for the 80GB Harddisk-partition /dev/sdb1, and "usb" for the stick at /dev/sdc1. no hyphens were used.
bothe names appears on the list in the webgui. I can create a LVM Group with "usb", but with "80G" I get that error.

But as i wrote, i used the name "80G" for the 80GB Harddisk-partition /dev/sdb1, and "usb" for the stick at /dev/sdc1. no hyphens were used.

Ah, OK - I think the name '80G' is the problem, because it does not start with a letter - please can you test with another name (starting with a letter)?

Ah, OK - I think the name '80G' is the problem, because it does not start with a letter - please can you test with another name (starting with a letter)?

Yes, allready tryed this, when i use only numbers, e.g. "103" than appears the error "invalig character", but "80G" is accepted, I tryed also other pure alphabetic names as "abc" but the parse error still comes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!