error i40e NIC Link is Down

gly

Mar 29, 2021
Hello,

For a week now we have more and more the following error:

Mar 29 08:09:01 pve systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Mar 29 08:09:17 pve kernel: i40e 0000:64:00.0 eno1: NIC Link is Down Mar 29 08:09:17 pve kernel: vmbr0: port 1(eno1) entered disabled state Mar 29 08:10:00 pve systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner... Mar 29 08:10:01 pve systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded. Mar 29 08:10:01 pve systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner. Mar 29 08:10:57 pve kernel: i40e 0000:64:00.0 eno1: NIC Link is Up, 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None Mar 29 08:10:57 pve kernel: vmbr0: port 1(eno1) entered blocking state Mar 29 08:10:57 pve kernel: vmbr0: port 1(eno1) entered forwarding state Mar 29 08:10:57 pve kernel: i40e 0000:64:00.0 eno1: NIC Link is Down

When this happens, we can no longer access Proxmox and VMs.

I searched on the forum and found that the driver version of the card may be involved, on kernel 5.4.73 the version is:

filename: /lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/i40e/i40e.ko version: 2.8.20-k

The version available from Intel is 2.14.13. I have read that if we update the driver it might roll back to the old version with the PVE update.

What is the right solution please?

Thanks a lot

i40e 0000:64:00.0 eno1: NIC Link is Down
This would look like the NIC loses the Link - possible causes:
* problem in the driver - please try to install the latest pve-kernel first and check if this fixes the issue (I personally would not recommend to install the out-of-band intel drivers
* check the complete journal/dmesg for messages from i40e and others which might give a hint at what's not working
* actual problem of the wiring - change the cable/fibre between the NIC and the switch
* some problem on the switch - check the logs of the switch (if available) - else try a different port or different switch

I hope this helps

This would look like the NIC loses the Link - possible causes:
* problem in the driver - please try to install the latest pve-kernel first and check if this fixes the issue (I personally would not recommend to install the out-of-band intel drivers
* check the complete journal/dmesg for messages from i40e and others which might give a hint at what's not working
* actual problem of the wiring - change the cable/fibre between the NIC and the switch
* some problem on the switch - check the logs of the switch (if available) - else try a different port or different switch

I hope this helps

We had already tested to update the kernel and we tested the pve-test version. In view of the urgency and the fact that the server supports production VMs, we migrated from Proxmox to ESXi. The ticket may be closed. Thks

I'm having exactly this issue with i40e / Intel 10Gb card on latest Proxmox 6.4 / Kernel 5.4.

Somenone could help with sugestions ? It was working for 2 years with 5.0 Kernel but after upgrade this "Link Down" starts...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!