[SOLVED] Error: file "/boot/grub/i386-pc/crypto.mod" not found after upgrade from 7.4 to 8.2.

GabeBullet

Jun 28, 2024
Hi all! I have a cluster of two nodes. Initially, the proxmox version was 6.4, I was able to successfully update two nodes to version 7.4 without errors. Afterwards, I decided to update one of the nodes to 8.2.
During the update, the process froze at the stage
"setting UP memtest 86+ (6.10-4)"
"installing new version of config file /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+"
After two hours of waiting for a reaction, I decided to stop the process "ctrl+c". After this, the process completed the update, the web-interface became available, but it was not possible to log into the web. After that, I rebooted the node and upon loading I received an error:
Error: file "/boot/grub/i386-pc/crypto.mod" not found.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Hi all! I have a cluster of two nodes. Initially, the proxmox version was 6.4, I was able to successfully update two nodes to version 7.4 without errors. Afterwards, I decided to update one of the nodes to 8.2.
During the update, the process froze at the stage
"setting UP memtest 86+ (6.10-4)"
"installing new version of config file /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+"
After two hours of waiting for a reaction, I decided to stop the process "ctrl+c". After this, the process completed the update, the web-interface became available, but it was not possible to log into the web. After that, I rebooted the node and upon loading I received an error:
Error: file "/boot/grub/i386-pc/crypto.mod" not found.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem?
Never CTRL+C in an Update/Upgrade Processes, how to fix it you currupt the Boot loader.
You need to Reinstalled it in my Eyes mabye someone else know an solution to fix an BootLoader?

you probably need to reinstall your boot loader.. are you using EFI or legacy boot?

Never CTRL+C in an Update/Upgrade Processes, how to fix it you currupt the Boot loader.
You need to Reinstalled it in my Eyes mabye someone else know an solution to fix an BootLoader?

What actions should be taken next if the process freezes and process upgrade does not go further?
There is no load on disk and RAM by upgrade process)

do you have an ESP with at least 512M, better 1G size? if so, I'd switch to UEFI boot using a live CD, chroot and `proxmox-boot-tool format` + `proxmox-boot-tool init`. if not, please describe your system (storage used for /, disk layout, ..)

do you have an ESP with at least 512M, better 1G size? if so, I'd switch to UEFI boot using a live CD, chroot and `proxmox-boot-tool format` + `proxmox-boot-tool init`. if not, please describe your system (storage used for /, disk layout, ..)
Attached a screenshot with the status of the partitions on the proxmox system disk.From the screenshot you can see that there is an EFI partition on the disk in the FAT format, 537MB in size.
Fabian, sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by:
chroot and `proxmox-boot-tool format` + `proxmox-boot-tool init`.

Attachments

• proxmox_OS.png
    proxmox_OS.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 6
537MB is cutting it a bit close, but if you keep an eye on the number of installed kernel versions, it would be doable.

what you need to do is basically
- boot some kind of livecd (Debian bookworm should work)
- active your / volume and mount it somewhere
- bind mount sys,proc,dev into it
- chroot into it
- reinstall the bootloader (either grub-install , or proxmox-boot-tool format+init)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

537MB is cutting it a bit close, but if you keep an eye on the number of installed kernel versions, it would be doable.

what you need to do is basically
- boot some kind of livecd (Debian bookworm should work)
- active your / volume and mount it somewhere
- bind mount sys,proc,dev into it
- chroot into it
- reinstall the bootloader (either grub-install , or proxmox-boot-tool format+init)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure
Fabian, thank you, everything is clear!
Last question:
using the command proxmox-boot-tool format+init, I need to specify the EFI partition, that is /dev/sda2 (from screnshot), is it right?

Thanks Fabian, your comments were very helpful. The updated node from the cluster started, the only thing I had to register in the fstab UUID section with the EFI. After these steps, the machine booted, but a new problem appeared...
I can't see the status of the storages on the web - permission denied - invalid PVE ticket 401...

status pvedaemon: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Check of pool pve/data failed (status:1). Manual repair required!

systemlog:
prox1 pvestatd[1535]: status update time (13.543 seconds)
prox1 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=2s
prox1 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
prox1 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
prox1 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 70 75 ee b8 00 00 08 00
prox1 kernel: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1886777022 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
prox1 pvestatd[1535]: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Check of pool pve/data failed (status:1). Manual repair required!

Maybe someone can help with that problem.

that sounds like a broken disk..

that sounds like a broken disk..
it would be terrible if that's the case((
tried to use: lvconvert --repair pve/data.
Transaction id 105 from pool "pve/data" does not match repaired transaction id 104 from /dev/mapper/pve-lvol0_pmspare.
WARNING: LV pve/data_meta0 holds a backup of the unrepaired metadata. Use lvremove when no longer required.

I don’t understand, is everything okay with the system?
I'm afraid that the only correct solution is to write down the volume settings, make a backup of the machines and reinstall proxmox. Because there is no clear answer as to whether there will be stable work in the future.

the kernel reports read failures for the physical disk, that indicates a hardware problem. LVM also complains about corrupt metadata of the thin pool, which might be a second issue, or caused by the hardware problem..

the kernel reports read failures for the physical disk, that indicates a hardware problem. LVM also complains about corrupt metadata of the thin pool, which might be a second issue, or caused by the hardware problem..
Fabian, thanks for your help.Now the node is working (it seems) normally, the status of the disks and lvm is displayed correctly, I will continue to monitor the behavior.Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!