Error failed exit code 11

Frenshow

Dec 4, 2020
Hello guys !

I have a problem when I want to backup a container I have the problem "Backup failed error - exit code 11". I searched on Internet and it says it's a disk size issue. But the container is 190 GB in size and the storage size is 7.75 TB

What is the problem ?

Best regards,

Hi,

Could you post the full output of the backup task that failed with exit code 11?

EDIT:
and also please the config of the Container :)

@Moayad while I'm not @Frenshow, I'm having the same issue with one of my containers, and both threads (this one too: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/backups-exit-code-11.77342/ ) no one shared the container configuration or they stopped replying, so the solution was never found.

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 4
features: keyctl=1,nesting=1
hostname: ShowtimeProduction
memory: 2048
mp0: /mnt/shared_storage_misc,mp=/mnt/shared_storage_misc,shared=1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=10.0.0.1,hwaddr=5A:3D:E6:38:DC:1C,ip=10.0.7.9/8,type=veth
net1: name=eth1,bridge=vxnet1,firewall=1,hwaddr=DA:86:1D:85:1A:0F,ip=172.16.7.9/12,type=veth,mtu=1450
ostype: debian
rootfs: local:40108/vm-40108-disk-0.raw,size=4G
swap: 0
unprivileged: 1

If I had to guess I would say it is due to the shared storage
Code:
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 40108 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-03-22 06:01:36
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: ShowtimeProduction
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: excluding bind mount point mp0 ('/mnt/shared_storage_misc') from backup (not a volume)
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: ShowtimeProduction
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: excluding bind mount point mp0 ('/mnt/shared_storage_misc') from backup (not a volume)
INFO: starting first sync /proc/353697/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp438156_40108
ERROR: Backup of VM 40108 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' '--exclude=/mnt/shared_storage_misc' /proc/353697/root//./ /var/tmp/vzdumptmp438156_40108' failed: exit code 11
INFO: Failed at 2021-03-22 06:02:04
INFO: Backup job finished with errors

There are other three containers in the same node that also have the same issue, and one of the things they have in common is that they have a shared storage, another container that does NOT have a shared storage works fine.

Last edited:
Hi @MrPowerGamerBR,

Please try to disable the snapshot mode and see if the backup works.

Question:
Have you tried to disable the shared storage from the container that returns the exit code 11 error?

Hi @MrPowerGamerBR,

Please try to disable the snapshot mode and see if the backup works.

Question:
Have you tried to disable the shared storage from the container that returns the exit code 11 error?
Something that I forgot to mention is that I'm using suspend mode, snapshot doesn't work due to the storage used (damn you, SoYouStart/OVH default Proxmox settings that for some reason doesn't use lvm-thin by default!)

So, this is weird, this happened to me once today (on a automatic scheduled backup) and that failed, I tried running the backup job again and it worked... fine.

Also I'm backing up everything to a Proxmox Backup Server, but I don't think that could be related.

Pretty weird bug that I have no idea what could cause the issue.

Today my Backup Job executed again and... no issues happened again!

Maybe that's why everyone stops replying to those threads, because it seems that it only happens very rarely... or maybe it only happens the first time you try backing up a container that has a shared storage or something. (yesterday was the first time I tried backing up the containers and it broke)

But if the issue happens again, or if I figure out a way to reproduce it, I will report here :)

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!