Error: error at "xxx": stat failed on "xxx/encrypted": EACCES: Permission denied

jedo19

Nov 16, 2018
Hi,
I am trying to backup one of the desktops (ubuntu 22.04) I am hitting this error and backup fails
Error: error at "xxx": stat failed on "xxx/encrypted": EACCES: Permission denied

that folder is encfs encrypted folder thus root has no access to it.

I tried adding exclusion in

.pxarexclude

but still I get the same error.

I tried all of the possibilities (all at once)

Code:
encrypted/**
encrypted/*
encrypted/
encrypted

any ideas?
Thanks
B.

where did you put the .pxarexclude file in relation to the encrypted folder?
e.g. if the folder structure is:
Code:
/foo
/foo/bar
/foo/bar/encrypted
and you execute proxmox-backup-client backup foo.pxar:/foo

then the .pxarexclude should be in /foo with the content:
Code:
/bar/encrypted

though that's just from memory, i did not test this
more info and examples here: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#excluding-files-directories-from-a-backup

@dcsapak

I have put my .pxarexclude on the root folder eg /

and scratch is on root. Documentation in this regard is bit confusing as reports from the forum say to ditch the trailing / ....

@fiona This seems to be a problem as the system sees this file :

Code:
d?????????  ? ?        ?         ?            ? encrypted

and fails afterwards. It is a normal encfs mount point.
How can I prevent the client to terminating?

Thanks
Borut

@fiona This seems to be a problem as the system sees this file :

Code:
d?????????  ? ?        ?         ?            ? encrypted

and fails afterwards. It is a normal encfs mount point.
How can I prevent the client to terminating?
It sees the file, but it can't call stat() on it. A workaround might be to temporarily unmount it? I'd say the real solution requires changing the code, feel free to open a bug report on our bug tracker.

@fiona unmounting is off the table as it is user based local mount and forcing it could create problems. I put all the possibilities and now it looks like one of those was the right one and ignores that file/folder so working now!

I created a report: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4380

would be nice if this error could be ignored via a flag and just move on with the backup without the file or to not call stat() on the anyway excluded file
Hello!
Id like to say that i'm facing something similar on an ubuntu, but with a different folder:
I'm using XRDP and in order to have drive mount and copy/paste trough session, a special folder named "thinclient_drives" is mounted, when user is connected, in his home folder.
Trying to backup leads to
Code:
Error: error at "home/testuser1": stat failed on "home/testuser1/thinclient_drives": EACCES: Permission denied
As stated by @Hountez, it appears even when folder is excluded.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!