Error booting containter: Device or resource busy

preocupao

Feb 29, 2012
Almost always i recieve this error booting a container, i need to reboot the proxmox server to can boot the container :(

Starting container ...

Can't umount /var/lib/vz/root/102: Device or resource busy
Unable to open /var/lib/vz/root/102/sbin/init-logger: Read-only file system
Unable to copy init-logger
Not enough resources to start environment
Container start failed (try to check kernel messages, e.g. "dmesg | tail")
TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl start 102' failed: exit code 6

If i try to umount the container, the error:

Any ideas?

I had same problem and have no idea to solve it correctly, but here is at least some solution:
You have to change mount point for VE102 from /var/lib/vz/root/102 to (for example) /var/lib/vz/root/YAHOO/102
mkdir -p
/var/lib/vz/root/YAHOO/102
and in the file /etc/pve/openvz/102.conf (or /etc/vz/conf/102.conf) replace string
VE_ROOT="/var/lib/vz/root/$VEID" to VE_ROOT="/var/lib/vz/root/YAHOO/$VEID"

It is ugly, but working.

Hello,

I had the same problem after updating a VZ-Container from Centos 6.2 to 6.3 (with Plesk).

After the update I shutdown the container and it would not restart: Can't umount /var/lib/vz/root/150: Device or resource busy
Proxmox showed the Container as still mounted. Unmounting failed.

Code:
cat /proc/mounts

/mnt/vz-host/private/101 \040(deleted)/var/lib/vz/root/150/var/named/chroot/etc/named.rfc1912.zones simfs rw,relatime,usrquota,grpquota 0 0
/mnt/vz-host/private/101 \040(deleted)/var/lib/vz/root/150/var/named/chroot/etc/named.iscdlv.key simfs rw,relatime,usrquota,grpquota 0 0
/mnt/vz-host/private/101 \040(deleted)/var/lib/vz/root/150/var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key simfs rw,relatime,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

I don't know where these came from. Maybe bind was updated in the container and didn't clean up properly?

Anyways, the following command helped:
Code:
unmount -l /var/lib/vz/root/150

After this, Proxmox showed the Container as unmounted and I was able to start it again.

Solution found here: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=47720&

regards

-Stephan

Many thanks!

umount -l /var/lib/vz/root/115 work fine for me :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!