Error 552 MS-Office file containing VBA macros found inside of the email in proxmox email gateway

sanojs

Sep 13, 2019
Hi Team,

For every email with office documents, emails are getting blocked and showing the below error in logs. Can we avoid this in proxmox email gateway?

Jul 3 12:08:05 relay postfix/smtp[123456]: dhcudchd: to=<.com>, relay=8***[***]:25, delay=4, delays=0.02/0/2.3/1.6, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host *.com[****] said: 552 MS-Office file containing VBA macros found inside of the email (in reply to end of DATA command))
dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host aspmx.l.google.com[*****] said: 552 MS-Office file containing VBA macros found inside of the email (in reply to end of DATA command))
Jul 3 20:21:21 relay postfix/smtp[123456]: 12345gdhj: to=****, relay=aspmx.l.google.com***:25, delay=2.8, delays=0.01/0.01/2.1/0.71, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host aspmx.l.google.com*** said: 552 MS-Office file containing VBA macros found inside of the email (in reply to end of DATA command))

I could see an option to make the ScanOLE2 false. Is this recommended one? do we need to restart any service once made any changes in clamd.conf file?

root@proxmox:~# cat /etc/clamav/clamd.conf | grep -i OL
FollowDirectorySymlinks false
FollowFileSymlinks false
ScanOLE2 true
root@relay:~#

Last edited:
Please try to keep the logs in a way that makes understanding the flow still possible - else it's hard to understand which system rejected the mail and why ...

In that case i think that the problem is not with PMG's configuration but with the remote system
(host aspmx.l.google.com*** said: 552 MS-Office file containing VBA macros found inside of the email (in reply to end of DATA command))
I think the google mail-servers reject the mails because they contain office documents with VBA macros:
* don't send office-documents with macros (as many mail-server will reject those (usually a good practice)
* ask google if/how you can change your mails so that they are accepted

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!