smbios1: uuid=
sockets: 1
tablet: 1
tags:
tpmstate0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-1,size=4M,version=v2.0
usb0: host=1-9
usb1: host=1-5
vga: none
virtio0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-2,backup=0,cache=writeback,discard=on,iothread=1,size=64G
vmgenid:

Code:
root@office-pve:~# cat /etc/kernel/cmdline

root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs gfxpayload=text intel_iommu=on vfio-pci.disable_vga=1 iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction kvm.ignore_msrs=1 kvm.report_ignored_msrs=0 vfio-pci.ids=8086:191d,10de:1288,10de:1d01
# pci=assign-busses pci=realloc
# nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off,efifb:off,simplefb:off
# i915.enable_gvt=1 i915.enable_dc=0
# i915.enable_guc=0
# i915.enable_dc=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=1 ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1
Are you using Gigabyte 1030? Not sure that should make big difference MSI vs Gigabyte, but just wondering.

Looks like if I follow your patching rec and then update PVE it should work. Will try and report back.

Thanks for posting your configs.

Are you using Gigabyte 1030? Not sure that should make big difference MSI vs Gigabyte, but just wondering.
Yes, I'd be surprised if it did.
Looks like if I follow your patching rec and then update PVE it should work.
Follow PVE passthrough wiki page (there are two versions both worth reading btw), fall back to Arch wiki on the subject for troubleshooting.
Use my confings only as an example not the reference. Update certainly has nothing to do here.

I was on vacation so I'm getting back to report on my findings. I finally made it work, so I'm marking this as solved!

The procedure I followed was to clean install Windows with the GPU already passed through with VBIOS not patched, primary GPU disabled, PCIE enabled. No special flags on CPU, just set as host. Machine version is pc-q35-8.0, and BIOS is OVMF. I proceeded to install every virtio and NVIDIA driver and everything works perfectly. Later, I was experimenting with WSL and tried to install Windows Hypervisor Platform and that brought the error 43 back. Uninstalling that feature got it working again. For anyone with the same issue, try to follow these steps and let me know if that worked for you.

This probably means Win GUI is CPU-rendered (does not use GPU-acceleration), isn't it?
Not sure what you need GPU here for.
I'm using the GPU for display output. And both display output and GPU acceleration are working, for that matter.

passed through with VBIOS not patched, primary GPU disabled, PCIE enabled. No special flags on CPU, just set as host. Machine version is pc-q35-8.0, and BIOS is OVMF.
Yeah, seems to work on my 1030s too, weird. It is annoying how KVM settings behave differently with every other new version..

tried to install Windows Hypervisor Platform and that brought the error 43 back.
My VM fails to boot with 0xc0000001 after installing Hyper-V no matter if I pass GPU in at all.

hyper-v.jpg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!