Error 43 for the passed-through NVIDIA GTX 650

michaelf

Oct 13, 2023
michaelfirsov.wordpress.com
Hello!

After completing the steps described in this guide - https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/ - I created the new VM with the passed-through GPU GTX 650:
Q1.png

Q2.png

The driver for the GPU was installed successfully but upon next reboot there was the error 43 for the Nvidia GTX 650 card in Device Manager.

Q1: Can you please tell me are there any errors in the VM's config above that could lead to error 43 ?

Q2:
Is there anything else I can do to fix the issue except this:

Error 43​

Error code 43 is a generic Windows driver error and can occur for a wide number of reasons. Things you can try troubleshooting include:

Finding out if the PCI device has a hardware fault​

• Try passing the PCI device to a Linux VM
  • Try plugging the PCI device into a different PCI slot or into a different machine

Finding software issues​

• Check the security event logs of your Windows VM
  • Check the dmesg logs of your host machine
  • Dump your vBIOS and check if it is working correctly.
  • Try a different vbios (see the GPU requirements section)
  • If your GPU supports resizable BAR/SAM and you have this option set in your BIOS, you might need to deactivate it or manually tweak your BAR using an udev rule (see Code 43 while Resizable Bar is turned on in the bios in the Arch wiki)
  • Sometimes the issue is very hardware-dependent. You might find someone else who found a solution who has the same hardware. Try searching the internet with keywords containing your hardware, together with keywords like "Proxmox", "KVM", or "Qemu".

- because I don't know what should I be looking for in those logs (security event logs of your Windows VM, dmesg logs of your host machine, - I did check the logs and did not find any related errors there - not speaking of "Dump your vBIOS and check if it is working correctly" - I have no idea how vBIOS should work at all.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever read a success story about passthrough of a GTX650; I did read about people having problems and giving up. Don't you need old NVidia Windows drivers for that GPU that cause an Error 43 on purpose because NVidia tried to prevent passthrough in the past?

Reactions: michaelf
Yes, I've heard that old Nvidia drivers intentionally blocked the passthrough some time ago ...but I just don't have another GPU/PC at hand (my goal is to reproduce the problem from our customer).
...just thought it may work with 352.62-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql - is it the "old driver" ?

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!