erase former ceph disks

DrillSgtErnst

Jun 29, 2020
Hi,
my old cluster had problems, I had to reinstall
Now PVE marks all the SSDs as LVM.
I cant delete via fdisk.

The old LVM2_member signature will be removed by a write command.

I can't delete partitions, as there are no created.
I can write an gpt label but usage still keeps Device Mapper.

How do I clean the disks?
I already tried with Microsoft diskpart
cleaned the disk 4 were clean after that
8 remain LVM

I am trying shred now.

Gonna keep you updated

Last edited:
I'm in a rush at the moment so I can't look it up, but there is a command to remove LVM members. I think it's "lmremove <lvm member>". I vaguely remember having to do this on one of my dev machines when I was playing around with Ceph.

If my memory isn't failing me; i had to issue the command to destroy the OSD(The one with the funky parameter; i-want-it-gone... something hilarious like that. Then issue the command to remove LVM. The LVM command, I don't think is needed. I was creating pools and blowing them away in DEV when suddenly the disks stopped showing up as an option. I think this is how I got them back. There's still a lot for you to google but hope this help, if I wasn't late I'd look up the commands.

wow, I took 5 steps away from the computer and remembered the command, I had to come back.

it's "lvremove <LVM member>". The member starts with "ceph-".

Thanks for that reply.

I will try that.
problem is, that I don't use Ceph at the moment. Therefore I can't destroy the OSDs the common way.

But I know what you meant it was something like ceph destroy osd osd,name --yes-I-really-mean-it..

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!