Enhanced entropy availability in containers / RNGd

Loredo

Feb 21, 2012
Munich
Hi,

I would need better random numbers available in one container as it is too low to setup needed software:

Code:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

I installed rngd daemon on the host to improve entropy availability which basically works for the host itself (I know using urandom is not a totally good idea but I don't have a chance to get a hardware dongle attached to my server).

However effect on container seems to be minimal. I also tried to run rngd directly inside of the container but wasn't able to give write access to /dev/random device from inside the container - and in the end the host system should be the correct place I guess.

Of course I could use a KVM machine instead, in fact I tried this and it worked with the help of rngd running inside the guest system.
But how should this be handled for virtual containers in general? I wasn't able to find anything useful via Google search but maybe here is somebody to contribute some thoughts.

Regards,
Julian

It seems I found a solution for this.

Installing haveged via "aptitude install haveged" seems to produce better entropy.
(http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/)

Although I don't have any longterm experience yet, maybe this is worth to be mentioned in the Wiki as a recommended extension for a Proxmox standard installation.

Regards,
Julian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!