Encrypted LVM root FS does not boot any more

silverado

Renowned Member
Apr 23, 2012
A newer Proxmox update obviously makes (some?) encrypted systems unbootable.

I have been running a fully encrypted Proxmox System (incl. root) for several weeks now without any problems (using a 3ware raid controller).

But today I tried to reboot and the reboot failed: Instead of showing the password prompt the system waits a little an then reports that it cannot find any lvm volumes. (When I use the Grub entry for the non-pve-kernel everything works fine. )

To find the reason for this problem I made a fresh install on the same machine but on another set of harddisks:

I installed Debian Squeeze 64 bit on a manually configured fully encrypted lvm (as I did successfully many times before) and rebooted.
After that I added the Proxmox Repository to sources.list and made an "aptitude update" and "upgrade".

Three packages were upgraded:
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ squeeze/pve libdevmapper1.02.1 amd64 2:1.02.74-1pve2 [128 kB]
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ squeeze/pve dmsetup amd64 2:1.02.74-1 pve2 [68,8 kB]
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ squeeze/pve lvm2 amd64 2.02.95-1pve2 [575 kB]

After that I tried to reboot and had the same problem as before: No password prompt, just a message that no logical volumes were found.

Obviously one of these three packages causes the encrypted system not to boot any more.

What can I do now?

I was so lucky that I still had an entry in grub for the old standard debian kernel that was still working.

1) I booted up using the old still working standard debian kernel
2) I made an aptitude remove libdevmapper1.02.1
3) I answered "no" to the proposals how to resolve the conflicts that a removal of this package would cause until this solution was proposed:
Deaktualisieren der folgenden Pakete:
1) clvm [2.02.95-1pve2 (now, stable) -> 2.02.88-2pve2 (stable)]
2) dmsetup [2:1.02.74-1pve2 (now, stable) -> 2:1.02.67-2pve2 (stable)]
3) libdevmapper1.02.1 [2:1.02.74-1pve2 (now, stable) -> 2:1.02.67-2pve2 (stable)]
4) lvm2 [2.02.95-1pve2 (now, stable) -> 2.02.88-2pve2 (stable)]

4) I answered "yes" and spoke out several prayers.
5) I rebooted and --- :D The password prompt was back!!! :D

Now everything seems to be working again and I am happy.

But a big warning to all users that have a fully encrypted system: Do not use the latest update that is offered by Proxmox!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im having the same problem, tried your solution but it didn't work for me. I was still getting the message Unable to find your LVM. Is there a way to approach an older kernel version with just GRUB?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!