Encrypted backup.

Dec 6, 2019
Hi,
I saw some other posts about that but I think my situation is a bit different.
I have 2 "clusters" of proxmox connected to the same backup server.
I don't want them to have the same backup keys for encryption.
Right now I want to restore a single vm from one cluster to the other.
I saw that you can import the key from one cluster to the other but that will overwrite the backup key of the one you import it to.
So my question is: Is there any way to use a backup key for only one restore operation? Maybe using command line?
Thank you

I saw that you can import the key from one cluster to the other but that will overwrite the backup key of the one you import it to.
So my question is: Is there any way to use a backup key for only one restore operation? Maybe using command line?
you can use the proxmox-backup-client on the cli (where you can give the key directly), but that only restores raw img files for vms (and folders for containers)

so the easiest way is to add a the pbs storage under a different name, import the the key, restore, and remove the storage from pve again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!