Enabling Wake-on-LAN on Proxmox VE server

clawes

May 3, 2010
I am running Proxmox at home with 6 vms to do some software and OS testing.

My server resides in the basement and runs headless.
To conserve energy I don't have this server when not in use.
Normally, I use wake-on-lan magic packet to start up this server when needed. In order to do so, I have to run the following command on the server before shutting it off for the day:

# /usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Unfortunately, I get the following error message when I run this command:

"Cannot set new wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
not setting wol"

This command worked in the past when I had another distro running on this box. So, I suspect that might be because of the network bridging that Proxmox created during installation.
It could also be because of some ACPI configuration. I'm just no sure.

Anyway, I would like to turn of the network bridging via a script when I'm shutting down the server but not sure how to do this.

Any suggestion?

Solved!!!

The problem was due to the proxmox-ve-2.6.18 kernel. I suspect that the NIC driver needed to be updated.

I corrected the problem by upgrading to the latest version:
# apt-get install proxmox-ve-2.6.32

Then rebooted the server.

Hi
I've currently some problems to get WOL working with Proxmox VE 1.7. I think the problem lays in the configuration of proxmox, because I tested the same machine with windows 7 and there it worked perfectly. WOL is enebled all the time (even after reboot and shutdown) when checking it with "ethtool eth0" it says

HTML:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
The network card is this one
HTML:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. 
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device 0123
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169
I think it the problem could be that the network card is shutdown when the system is halted. In order to cinfigure WOL i followed I considered this page http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Debian_-_WAKE_ON_LAN#HALT_.2F_Reboot
Does anyone have experience with enabling WOL on a Proxmox VE Server? Do I need to change anything else?

THX

hi all,

currently i'm using proxmox 2.1-1 and i want my guest os (ubuntu server 12) auto-on after power failure
and there is no ethtool in ubuntu 12 server (should i install it manually??)

how to do it ?

sorry for stupid question since i'm totally new in proxmox and linux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!