Enable SSH login with LDAP authentication

joace

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2014
Getting more loves with Proxmox, especially able to run docker inside a lxc container!

I have installed a 4-node cluster running 6.2, and configured LDAP realm for webgui login, everything is working fine, now a new required just came up to get the same LDAP user able to login with ssh, searched forum and google a while, most stuffs I can find are some generic description setup PAM with openLDAP, but not specific to Proxmox, just wondering anyone can help provide some guidance I can refer to? Thanks in advance!

And another question is whether I have to do the same configuration on 4 different nodes, i know Proxmox is using some cluster file system to have the same configuration for all nodes, not sure whether this is not applicable for user configuration outside configuration from webgui.

I have installed a 4-node cluster running 6.2, and configured LDAP realm for webgui login, everything is working fine, now a new required just came up to get the same LDAP user able to login with ssh, searched forum and google a while, most stuffs I can find are some generic description setup PAM with openLDAP, but not specific to Proxmox, just wondering anyone can help provide some guidance I can refer to? Thanks in advance!

It's the same as for Debian Buster.

Why don't you want to have SSH via LDAP users? They will not be able to use any hypervisor functionally and pipeing everything through sudo is a pain and the completion will not work.

And another question is whether I have to do the same configuration on 4 different nodes, i know Proxmox is using some cluster file system to have the same configuration for all nodes, not sure whether this is not applicable for user configuration outside configuration from webgui.

No, just the directory tree under /etc/pve is synched all over the cluster. If you want something for /home, please use a shared network filesystem like NFS or CIFS.

Why would you want ordinary users on your hypervisor? I cannot see any benefit of this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!