Enable KVM CPU SSSE3 Support

sunghost

May 27, 2011
Hi,
i tried to enable ssse3 support for my kvm vms: qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu qemu64,+ssse3, but it runs infinity with VNC server running on ::1:5900 .... i canceld it.
My host CPU has ssse3 and newer, i tried kvm64 and qemu64 for kvm vCPU, but its not enabled in kvm.

How can i enable it?
thx

Why don´t you set the cpu type for the vm to host? unless you need live migration off course.
Then all features from your host cpu will be available to this vm.

hmm, I would assume that your flag would work. Did you try to pass it with all the other sse flags your cpu model has?
Or else you could select a cpu model that has this feature and matches your physical cpu types.
Maybe you already reviewed but you can check your possible features with:
qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu help

Usually adding args: -cpu qemu64,+ssse3 to the VM configuration file in the directory /etc/pve/qemu-server/ should do the trick.
Note that the software inside the VM might expect other extensions/flags (like sse2 or sse3) when ssse3 is present and you might need to add more.

PS: You might want to consider use kvm64 instead of qemu64 or better yet: the lowest common CPU type (when they are all Intel or all AMD) and maybe Meltdown/Spectre-flags too.

Reactions: MasterTH

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!