[SOLVED] Enable IOMMU with host iGPU display on?

alex01763

Feb 28, 2023
I'm encountering an issue where, when I connect my Nvidia card to a specific port on the motherboard, I lose the ability to ping, SSH, or access the GUI on Proxmox. To troubleshoot this, I'd like to enable the display of the integrated Intel GPU and observe what's happening. Since enabling PCIe passthrough causes the Nvidia card to stop displaying anything, I'm wondering how I can route the host display to the integrated GPU from the Nvidia card and have it appear on the monitor.

Thank you in advance

I'm encountering an issue where, when I connect my Nvidia card to a specific port on the motherboard, I lose the ability to ping, SSH, or access the GUI on Proxmox.
Probably because that slot puts the GPU in the same IOMMU group as the network, drive and other controllers that are needed by Proxmox. IOMMU groups cannot be shared between VMs and/or the Proxmox host. Maybe search the forum about this for more information?
To troubleshoot this, I'd like to enable the display of the integrated Intel GPU and observe what's happening. Since enabling PCIe passthrough causes the Nvidia card to stop displaying anything, I'm wondering how I can route the host display to the integrated GPU from the Nvidia card and have it appear on the monitor.
Usually you select the integrated graphics as primary GPU in the motherboard BIOS. Nowadays you often need to have a working display connected to the integrated graphics for this to work.
Maybe you can share the make and model of your motherboard and maybe link to the manual?

Probably because that slot puts the GPU in the same IOMMU group as the network, drive and other controllers that are needed by Proxmox. IOMMU groups cannot be shared between VMs and/or the Proxmox host. Maybe search the forum about this for more information?
The weird thing is, when I put my nvme->pciex4 converter card in that slot, everything works fine. But I have to put the gpu on a x1->x16 riser cable, which currently makes my rig real messy. So I'm trying to move the GPU back into the x16 slot, and the nvme card to the riser cable. But doing this for some reason breaks the connection to the server when I boot it up. without the gpu in the x16 slot, everything works fine.

Edit: the reason for all the riser cable and converter cards is because the motherboard lacks an x4 slot, so I have to put one of the two on the riser card instead of directly plugging in to the mb

Usually you select the integrated graphics as primary GPU in the motherboard BIOS. Nowadays you often need to have a working display connected to the integrated graphics for this to work.
Maybe you can share the make and model of your motherboard and maybe link to the manual?
So I don't have to disable IOMMU or reset anything? Motherboard is MSI H310M pro vh, and the cpu is celeron g4900. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-VH/support

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!