Enable automatic login to Host Console for non-root users

Tacioandrade

Renowned Member
Sep 14, 2012
Vitória da Conquista, Brazil
Guys would like to clear a question about using the Console in Proxmox when logging in with a user other than root!

I'm starting to block the use of root for the Proxmox I work, forcing each team member to use their own user, in case of problems, to know who was the user who screwed up based on the proxmox logs.

Setting this up has been relatively simple, the only problem I've been having is when I need to open the console of the proxmox host, with root it logs alone on the console with the user logged in to the web interface, but with a user without root permission, that doesn't occurs, when I open the console, it asks for the credentials again, as if it were logging in via ssh.

Is there any way to make the console open as the user and he has to use sudo to become root if necessary?

1631680475763.png

Is there any way to make the console open as the user and he has to use sudo to become root if necessary?
No currently not, we special-case root@pam for this.
For users of the @pam realm it could be argued for doing the same, albeit it may need to be an opt-in setting, as not everyone wants to have @pam user auto-login or even be able to login to a shell at all at the system and doing this by default wouldn't fly for a minor update as we try to do such changes only for major versions bumps to have a clean cut and can document it in the important changes section.

Anyhow, opt-in could be OK, feel free to open an enhancement request over at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

I have a somewhat related question. Is it possible to disable the automatic _Shell login to the proxmox node? Even though I logged into the web UI with root@pam, I wouldn't want to give an attacker that has access to my PC the ability to automatically access the shell of the node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!