[SOLVED] Emails don't ever seem to arrive / smtp test can't connect

Oldsocks

Mar 1, 2018
Hello!

I'm feeling very stupid right now and I don't expect that to change. I've set up a new PMG instance to catch inbound mail while we move an exchange server to a new location and then hopefully to act as a filter in future. To test it before relying on it, I've updated the MX record for an old domain I wasn't using to point at the new location. I've made sure the firewall has a port forward for port 25 inbound to the server. I have confirmed it by connecting to that port via telnet, and the pmg server replies. So far, so good.

I've added the test domain as a relay domain in configuration - mail proxy. In relaying, I've entered the exchange server's IP address and port (or at least, the port and IP for when it is installed). I've also tried explicitly adding an entry for the test domain in the transports section.

I've sent test emails from a number of hosts and it's as though they never arrive. Also, when I use the mxtoolbox SMTP test (https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx) it correctly resolves the IP address, but says it can't connect, timing out after 15 seconds - which is nuts, because I can connect without trouble.

I know I'm missing something fundamental, I just don't know what it is. I've read and followed the latest documentation, thought I got it right... can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong?

Did you try to reach the server from outside your network? (e.g. via some kind of VPN)...
maybe it's a missing firewall rule from the internet to PMG

else - sometimes this is just a small typo in an ip or hostname

if PMG is getting connections - you would see it in the journal of the PMG (`journalctl -f`)

I hope this helps!

That's the really weird part - I can connect from outside via telnet and can see it in the logs. Just not actual mail traffic. Very, very weird.

Upon further inspection, it was a firewall issue - some geoip stuff blocking areas where the mailsevers lived. Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Upon further inspection, it was a firewall issue - some geoip stuff blocking areas where the mailsevers lived. Thank you for the help!
Glad you found the issue! - thanks for marking the thread as SOLVED :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!