Email alert when logged on the webgui?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could assist me on what im trying to do. Im trying to get email alert every time when i or someone logs in the webgui of proxmox i got working email alert when someone SSH

Code:
IP="$(echo $SSH_CONNECTION | cut -d " " -f 1)"
HOSTNAME=$(hostname)
NOW=$(date +"%e %b %Y, %a %r")

echo 'Someone from '$IP' logged into '$HOSTNAME' on '$NOW'.' | mail -s 'SSH Login Notification' email@mydomain.com

any ideas?

Thank you

For incoming SSH logins you can check the file '/var/log/auth.log', in which you can grep for accepted/failed authentications and send the new entries as an email.

Thanks for the reply. for ssh logins thats correct but for WebGUI no it seems to appear in /var/log/syslog
Code:
Jan 10 11:28:33 prometheus pvedaemon[1669]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam'

So i have somewhat have something but not sure if will do any help would be greatly appreciated
Code:
#!/bin/bash
VARIABLE=<root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam'
cat /var/log/syslog | sed $VARIABLE'q;d
when i run it im getting this error

Code:
root@prometheus:~# ./find
./find: line 2: root@pam: No such file or directory
Jan 10 06:25:11 prometheus systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE firewall logger.

It finds the code but not sure how i can implement it when someone logs in and then emails maybe a cron job every minute?

We have an access log for all API related requests in /var/log/pveproxy/access.log (and rotated versions). So you could do:

Code:
grep 'access/ticket' /var/log/pveproxy/access.log

you see the IP from where the login try happened, and if it succeeded the status code "200" will be the next-to-last number. If you want the user name too you could then check for the next request from this IP with a valid username (third argument in a log line).

Thanks for the reply so this is what i got so far

Code:
grep 'extjs/version?' /var/log/pveproxy/access.log | tail -1 |  mail -r "<email@mydomain.com>" email@mydomain.com -s "Login of proxmox "
That line tells me the user, IP and the date which is great then emails me with the subject. Now all i need is how i can automatically get the alerts?

One way to do it would be using "tail -F" stream it into grep and tell it to use line buffered mode, i.e., something like:

Code:
tail -F /var/log/pveproxy/access.log | grep --line-buffered ...

the uppercase -F handles rotates of the file and line buffered ensures that grep directly output matches.

(but note that those checks also count a reload of a logged in user as "new log in", just FYI).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!