[SOLVED] Edit .members file

herseitan

Apr 12, 2023
Hi everyone !!
Someone know if is possible (and how) to edit ".members" file in the "/etc/pve/" folder ??

I will appreciate your help.

Regards !!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply t.lamprecht.

I have a "Network" issue with my cluster, when i created the cluster I select the Cluster Network with an interface in a range 192.X.X.X, both nodes has been joined to the cluster (apparently) fine but for some reason that I dont know one of the nodes takes a network interface with another range.

When I trying to move a VM from host "56" to host "52" I dont have any issue, work perfect.
But when i tried to move from "52" to "56" i have an error caused by the "different" network

TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=56' root@38.X.X.X pvecm mtunnel -migration_network 192.168.X.X/24 -get_migration_ip' failed: exit code 255

So ".members" file have the wrong IP address, that's why I want to edit that file.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards !!

Attachments

• corosync.png
    corosync.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
  • members.png
    members.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
  • members_info.png
    members_info.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 10
The IP shown in .members is the one the node name resolves too, and if you don't have an internal DNS infrastructure this is most likely coming from /etc/hosts on the affected node itself.
So, if you edit that (directly or via the API) to its IP from the 192.168.x.y/z network and reboot the node you should be good again.

For the migration network specific issue you can also override the migration network in the Web UI under Datacenter -> Options -> Migration Settings, if you set the 192.168.x.y/z network explicitly there, the nodes should avoid the autodetection, and it should work again.

Correcting the IP resolution of the nodename makes sense nonetheless, as if the node isn't reachable by the other node via that (or takes an inefficient route) you'll always have trouble for some action in a cluster.

The IP shown in .members is the one the node name resolves too, and if you don't have an internal DNS infrastructure this is most likely coming from /etc/hosts on the affected node itself.
So, if you edit that (directly or via the API) to its IP from the 192.168.x.y/z network and reboot the node you should be good again.
Understood, it seems logical to me ;)
I will try and i will return with the feedback.

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Seems like all time the issue was the hosts file.
Thanks so much, cluster is working perfectly now.

:)

Attachments

• members_1.png
    members_1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 15
Great that you got it to work! As thread creator you could set the "Solved" prefix for this thread, using the Edit Thread button above your initial post at the right.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!