Dynamic disk size in KVM

Tacioandrade

Renowned Member
Sep 14, 2012
Vitória da Conquista, Brazil
One of the things I miss in Proxmox is when I use the KVM is there is no dynamic disk option, know that in professional virtualization systems such as the Proxmox, XenServer, VMware indicated this is not something to be done, however some often ends up being a necessity for the future do not have to resize the disks manually, having to stop production systems to make that change.

Hi,
and how this should be work?
the resizing have to parts
Part 1 resize the container. Ok this is no problem and can be done by the host.
Part 2 resize the fs what is owned be the vm and the host can have no access to this if the vm is running.

the only possibility would be to have a client installed on each Vm what do the job.

you can resize VM disks online vie GUI, means without powering off. works great since quite some time.

but of course, you can only grow. shrinking is not possible by design.

Theoretically there could be a VM/client daemon that calls PVE API to request disk resize and then later reacts to handle the internal fs resize too.

Tricky, hacky and disaster waiting to happen - but doable. I personally do not feel that this kind of daemon should be offered by PVE itself.

;)

Resizing disks is also very important in a customer for example had created a 120GB disk and needed to increase the same to 250GB due to the expansion of the logs of an application, in VMWare the problem would be easily solved in Proxmox had to clone the HD with Clonezilla.
However what I wanted with the topic was asking for dynamic sized disks, as in Virtualbox which create a 500GB disk, however it will only use the storage space occupied by the files within the qcow2 or RAW, for example a vitual disk 500GB would only occupy 4 GB after installing Debian 8 with PostgreSQL and other software, thus spare room for other VMs to disk.

Resizing disks is also very important in a customer for example had created a 120GB disk and needed to increase the same to 250GB due to the expansion of the logs of an application, in VMWare the problem would be easily solved in Proxmox had to clone the HD with Clonezilla.
However what I wanted with the topic was asking for dynamic sized disks, as in Virtualbox which create a 500GB disk, however it will only use the storage space occupied by the files within the qcow2 or RAW, for example a vitual disk 500GB would only occupy 4 GB after installing Debian 8 with PostgreSQL and other software, thus spare room for other VMs to disk.

all what you describe here is working since a long time with Proxmox VE, all on the GUI.

so what do you miss?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!