Duplicate IP address in the virtual machine with Windows OS

Maxime_mtp

Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem with VMs that host a windows OS (windows 10 or server)

When I install the windows OS on a proxmox virtual machine, either in static IP address or by DHCP, the configuration appears at startup with a duplicate IP address (an address in 169 ... and the distributed IP address automatic or static).

I also had this case, but for a virtual machine where the network configuration apparently worked correctly on first boot, however, when I reset it from proxmox at boot, it went back to network configuration with IP address in double. This duplicate IP address configuration prevents network communication from the machine.

I think it is a problem of configuration at the level of the network card on Proxmox, but even when changing the network card model (E1000 -> virtIO), the problem persists.

Impossible to do a command ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew (even in admin mode)

Do you have any leads on where can this problem come from?

What's your NIC configuration? Checked if all VMs use the same MAC-address?

My configuration of the network interface card is as follows:

1st virtual machine:

IP: 172.16.10.3
mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 172.16.10.1
MAC: C6-C8-60-FB-67-18

2nd virtual machine:

IP: 172.16.10.4
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway: 172.16.10.1
MAC: 06-D4-7A-C8-84-E4

Do you need more information about the NIC configuration?

And I just checked the MAC addresses of all my machines and they have a unique MAC address for each of them

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Private_Internet_Protocol_Addressing

https://wiki.wireshark.org/APIPA

169.254.0.0/24 are autoconfig ip, but only when no static ip is setup or no dhcp ip is receive.
(and you shouldn't have duplicate apipa ip, as it's using arp to find already used ip)

I hope you don't use static ip in this range right ?

I know that addresses starting with 169.X.X.X are APIPA type addresses.

So I tried the following manipulation:

I switched the IP configuration back to DHCP mode.

Since it cannot find a DHCP server, an APIPA address has been assigned to it and the static address that I had assigned to it has disappeared so there is no longer any duplicate addressing. However, what I want is to assign its IP in static (because it is a windows server)

So I switch back to IP addressing in static mode by assigning it an IP, the subnet mask, the gateway and the DNS.

Normally, on any type of system, if I switch a network interface back to a static IP address, the DHCP mode is deactivated and the address assigned to it (APIPA address or address distributed by the DHCP server) disappears. But here, when I make the command "ipconfig / all" the DHCP mode appears as "disabled" but the APIPA address is always assigned to the network card.

Consequently, I perform an ipconfig / release but this command seems to switch the IP addressing back to DHCP mode, which means that the APIPA address is always present. So even if I switch back (in graphic mode or in command mode) to static IP addressing, the APIPA address does not want to be deleted.

I have already done the manipulation to disable the automatic IPv4 configuration via the registry (at the beginning I did the manipulation only on the network interface concerned, then with the tutorial that you provided me, I did manipulation so that deactivation applies to any network card)

I then restarted the virtual machine. And when I make the command "ipconfig / all" the IP address of type APIPA no longer appears. However, the IPv4 autoconfiguration setting always indicates the status "activated" and the network card always detects that there is a duplicate IP address (the term "double" appears right next to the static IP address that i have assigned).

I also tried to switch off the VM, delete the network card and then recreate it via the VM configuration of proxmox. But nothing changes, the APIPA IP address is no longer visible but it is always detected twice with the parameter (even with the "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled" registry key)

There is not a command line configuration on the proxmox terminal which could make this bug disappear on VMs with a windows host?

Otherwise I will try to perform my test infrastructure on another Hypervisor (VMWare or Hyper-V) because I have never had these problems on these hypervisors ...

Weird...well can you post a screenshot of your network configuration of proxmox (web page and maybe also the interfaces file)?

>> However, the IPv4 autoconfiguration setting always indicates the status "activated" and the network card always detects that there is a duplicate IP >>address (the term "double" appears right next to the static IP address that i have assigned).

Are you sure is not simply that you can setup a static ip on a e1000 interface, then switch to virtio nic interface, and setup the same ip again ?

because windows register ip address by pci slot location, and e1000 vs virtio are not the same slot. (Don't remember exactly how, but you need to display phantom/hiddenn nic, and remove the ip on old interface)

>> However, the IPv4 autoconfiguration setting always indicates the status "activated" and the network card always detects that there is a duplicate IP >>address (the term "double" appears right next to the static IP address that i have assigned).

Are you sure is not simply that you can setup a static ip on a e1000 interface, then switch to virtio nic interface, and setup the same ip again ?

because windows register ip address by pci slot location, and e1000 vs virtio are not the same slot. (Don't remember exactly how, but you need to display phantom/hiddenn nic, and remove the ip on old interface)

When I change to go from an E1000 network card to a VirtIO network card, when I restart the machine, no network card is detected ...
So I changed the SCSI controller for VirtIO, but it didn't change anything.
I tried to create a new VM with a windows server 2016. I passed the addressing in static IP, and I still have the address in duplicate

I'm desperate ...

The only solution I currently see is to reinstall the hypervisor. But this is not my responsibility.

[EDIT] Ok I will try this solution, I hope it wiil works : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices

I'll keep you informed

Last edited:
I tried the solution mentioned in the link but it does not work either.

This solution installs PCI and network drivers for VirtIO virtual hardware but does not solve the problem of duplicate IP addressing.

Hi,

Windows probes for a tentative IP address at the same time the switch is probing for device status. This is usually triggered by rebooting which results in a duplicate ip address. To prevent the duplicate ip address on the network the windows system assigns an APIPA address to the adapter. (ie. 169.254. x.x)
They are the following:
1) Modifying the registry:
In my opinion, you may try the following workaround:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Set IPAutoconfigurationEnabled (32-bit DWORD) to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Set ArpRetryCount (32-bit DWORD) to 0
2) Vía netsh:
netsh interface ipv4 set interface 11 dadtransmits=0 store=persistent
Hopefully, it can help and looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!