Dumb questions regarding HA

Mar 7, 2018
Hello,

I did setup a cluster with two nodes (I know it's bad and i understand why) using two_node: 1 (without it, my dear server were rebooting when his brother was missing, after a clean reboot).

I tried setting up a ha group with my two nodes and adding a vm as ressources.
The vm is started where it should. But when i reboot the node, the vm stay down until the node gets back without starting it on the other node.

Is it the normal behavior ?

When a node is missing (a clean shutdown), i can't start the vm hosted on that node cause i need to migrate them and i get a no route to host.
The vm config file is in /etc/pve/nodes/nodename/qemu-server/id.cfg and is accessible by the online node.

What do i have to do to start this VM ?

Can i have 3 servers but only two are members of an ha group that run the vms ?
Can i have a cluster of two nodes without HA ?
How i disable HA ? It seams the system adds HA when you create a cluster.

With no VMs with HA enable and without the two_node: 1. The first node of my cluster is rebooting when i reboot the second node.

And from my first post :

When a node is missing (a clean shutdown), i can't start the vm hosted on that node cause i need to migrate them and i get a no route to host.
The vm config file is in /etc/pve/nodes/nodename/qemu-server/id.cfg and is accessible by the online node.

With no VMs with HA enable and without the two_node: 1. The first node of my cluster is rebooting when i reboot the second node.

not sure what you mean by "no VMs with HA enable" - the watchdog is not enabled in that case, so it will not reboot.

You need to gain quorum, for example using:

# pvecm expected 1

But first make sure the other node is offline.

I meant that there is no Ressources listed in the HA part of the "Datacenter".

Concerning the other part, how to i get this vm with ID 113 to run on another node using the web UI ? I can't migrate it.

1520602858-selection-389.png

I want to have 2 nodes with the ability to migrate VMs between them :
- I create a cluster on node 1
- I add node 2 to node 1
- Reboot everybody
- I do not enable HA by creating a HA group and adding VMs to HA ressources.

Is there something else to do or not to do ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!