Drive size increase

bferrell

Nov 16, 2018
I have read through the wiki (here), but I'm confused still on the right process for my case. I have an Ubuntu 16.04 VM that I have fully configured but it is running out of space. I extened the disk size in the GUI, which now shows the size as 7TB (SCSI sda on the local node) , and I see the unallocated space in gparted in the guest OS, but I'm a little concerned to execute a command without fully understanding the process.

Will
Code:
pvresize /dev/vda3
resize my boot partition to comsume the available space?

Thanks.
Brett
pve_resized1.jpgpve_resized2.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.png
    image.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.png
    image.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
I have read through the wiki (here), but I'm confused still on the right process for my case. I have an Ubuntu 16.04 VM that I have fully configured but it is running out of space. I extened the disk size in the GUI, which now shows the size as 7TB (SCSI sda on the local node) , and I see the unallocated space in gparted in the guest OS, but I'm a little concerned to execute a command without fully understanding the process.

Will
Code:
pvresize /dev/vda3
resize my boot partition to comsume the available space?

There must be a misunderstanding somewhere - the disk is seen in the VM as /dev/sda and the LVM is in /dev/sda5.

Since it is a logical partition the extended one above (/dev/sda2) has to be increased first. Afterwards you can increase /dev/sda5 to and finally run

Code:
pveresize /dev/sda5

As an alternative (much easier!) you can add a new virtual disk and add this disk to your volume group in the VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!