Drive size increase

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by bferrell, Jan 13, 2019.

1. bferrell

bferrell New Member

I have read through the wiki (here), but I'm confused still on the right process for my case. I have an Ubuntu 16.04 VM that I have fully configured but it is running out of space. I extened the disk size in the GUI, which now shows the size as 7TB (SCSI sda on the local node) , and I see the unallocated space in gparted in the guest OS, but I'm a little concerned to execute a command without fully understanding the process.

Will
    Code:
    pvresize /dev/vda3
    resize my boot partition to comsume the available space?

Thanks.
    Brett
    pve_resized1.jpg pve_resized2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Richard

Richard Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

There must be a misunderstanding somewhere - the disk is seen in the VM as /dev/sda and the LVM is in /dev/sda5.

Since it is a logical partition the extended one above (/dev/sda2) has to be increased first. Afterwards you can increase /dev/sda5 to and finally run

Code:
    pveresize /dev/sda5

As an alternative (much easier!) you can add a new virtual disk and add this disk to your volume group in the VM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice