Dreaded Error 43: GT710 and W10

MrMeeb

Jan 29, 2019
Hi,

For the past few days I've been trying to do GPU passthrough on a GT710 for a W10 VM. It's not the only GPU in the system, since the CPU (i5 2400) also has integrated graphics. No matter what I read and try to follow, I can't seem to get my GT710 to run. I've followed the Proxmox wiki for passthrough, tried to use the nvidia-kvm-patcher (on the latest driver, and an older one, both of which fail to install), and also tried other suggestions like kvm=off. Everything results in an error 43. Does anyone have a guide they followed exactly that worked? Or what are the solutions people are currently using. I really want to get this working!

I've followed this guide and everything working for me.

Sorry for my silence. To sanity check myself, as I've been messing around with this for days, I went back and followed the AMD 2U server guide referenced in what you linked. I had to hack the BIOS using the utility mentioned in that article but it now seems to be working perfectly within the VM.

However, now I'm seeing some serious system instability - when I try to boot up the VM with passthrough, the host has become unresponsive 2 out of 3 times. What could be causing this? It's far from ideal, considering my router runs in a VM on the same host, so I can't be dealing with a potential crash every time I go to turn it on

Edit: Crashing happens on the 2nd boot of the VM in a session. If it's the first boot since the host has been switched on, powering on the VM does not crash the host (at least so far). Could this be something to do with the VM not properly uninitializing the GPU after it is shut down?

Edit 2: I read a couple of mentions to do with fast boot and the effects that can have on instability. I disabled it, but it hasn't fixed my issues

Last edited:
I have experienced behavior like you on Nvidia GT 610, it was configured with custom video BIOS, because original not supported UEFI, but without UEFI I was not able to passthrough my GT 610 at all. On second VM boot Proxmox host becomes unresponsive. I need to reboot host in order get my VM running. The only thing I googled that same problem with some AMD cards is caused by so-called “reset bug”, however I did not found any solution or clarification for NVIDIA. In the end I upgraded my video card to NVIDIA 1080 and since then not experienced problems at all.

Maybe you may try another video ROM from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ for you video card and you will be lucky - but do not physically flash you BIOS, simply load rom file via qm parameters

Last edited:
I have experienced behavior like you on Nvidia GT 610, it was configured with custom video BIOS, because original not supported UEFI, but without UEFI I was not able to passthrough my GT 610 at all. On second VM boot Proxmox host becomes unresponsive. I need to reboot host in order get my VM running. The only thing I googled that same problem with some AMD cards is caused by so-called “reset bug”, however I did not found any solution or clarification for NVIDIA. In the end I upgraded my video card to NVIDIA 1080 and since then not experienced problems at all.

Maybe you may try another video ROM from [link removed bc im a new user] for you video card and you will be lucky - but do not physically flash you BIOS, simply load rom file via qm parameters

That would be a pain. I used a ROM from techpowerup, but I may try actually dumping my BIOS, since my card could be slightly different. It's not the end of the world, since I don't need to constantly switch the machine on and off, it's just a pain that when I do need to that, I'd have to reboot the entire host

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!