DRBD9 without thin provisioning

Kei

May 29, 2016
Hello,
I'm following the tutorial at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9, but it seems that I'm only allowed to use thin LVM's, and not thick provisioning. In fact, the command you're suggested to type is:
root@proxmox:~# lvcreate -L 511G -n drbdthinpool -T drbdpool
Is it actually possible to create a "thick" LVM? If so, how should I edit this command?

Our backend requires that you use a thin pool, because you cannot create snapshots/clones without. What exactly is the problem?

Thank you for the prompt reply. I come from an environment where I used LVM's on a single PVE node, so DRBD, ort any replication system, was not required. At that time, I used Thick LVM's over Thin LVM's because I don't need to allocate more space than it's required; infact, I would prefer to have a fixed size for my guest images, so that I can't overprovision space in any circumstance. If it's only possible to have thick provisioning with DRBD9, I guess I will deal with it, but I just wanted to be sure that it's not possible otherwise.

Please help. The support for thin provisioning in DRBD9 seems to be not stable enough, as declared by them. As a matter of fact, I lost a test VM few hours after creation, and they say that this is possible. However, thick provisioning with DRBD9 is considered to be stable. So, I really cannot use it in PVE?? I don't need snapshots/clones. If thin provisioning is the only thing comphatible with DRBD9 in PVE, I have to switch to ceph. Please advise!!

Actually just the fact that I wish to run a three nodes cluster but the third node should be just for quorum but Ceph will require to set up data storage for this node too. Not a huge deal I guess. Another problem is that I cannot assign a full disk to Ceph, only partitions. This is because I'm limited to one single SDD per node. Would this be a problem? Also, Ceph is intended for massive scalability if I understands correctly so I thought I would be a waste for me. Not to mention that it sure is more complicated but hey, in not afraid to learn ;)

Ok I reply to myself: apparently the PVE implementation of Ceph only allows you to use whole drives, and not just partitions. That's going to be an issue because I'm not sure if I can afford two more SSD's, it's just an home setup. I need to check the fesibility of using USB sticks to boot PVE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!