drbd8 on pve 4 ?

whitewater

Nov 26, 2012
france
Hello,
i Actually, i use drbd 8.4.3 on proxmox 3.4.
Two nodes with drbd and a 3rd for HA.
I would like to upgrade to pve 4.

I searched the forum but I have not found an answer.

Is it possible to have two node with storage and a 3rd for HA ?
drbd9 isn't stable and ceph is less efficient in what i read on the forum.

Or maybie, use drbd8 with proxmox 4 ?

if three node, the hardware must really be identical ? is it sufficient if the hard drives are identical ?

Thank you

Last edited:
drbd9 isn't stable and ceph is less efficient in what i read on the forum.
I recently had a mail conversation with Martin Maurer and he told me that DRBD9 is a "Technology Preview" in Proxmox VE 4.x. So I shouldn't use it until it is stable in a prodction environment.
On the Linbit DRBD mailing list there was recently a message concerning a BUG in DRBD9 with an answer form Lars Ellenberg:
If you have a two node setup, stay with DRBD 8.4,
you don't gain anything from the new features of DRBD 9,
but, as you found out, still may be hit by the regressions.​

Or maybie, use drbd8 with proxmox 4 ?
I want to know if I there are DRBD8 packages for Proxmox 4.x available, or if I need to compile them on my own?
Instead of compiling the official sources from Linbit, someone could port the Proxmox 3.4 DRBD8 packages to Proxmox 4.x to keep the Proxmox patches (if there are some).
Would this be possible?

Are there any plans from Proxmox Server Solutions to do this?

If not, please can someone point me to the Proxmos 3.x Git repository, so that I can start working on this.

I just found a guide to downgrade DRBD9 to DRDB8.x for Proxmox 4.x. This will not create a simple to install DEB file, but can be used as a starting point. But doing this for any new Proxmox 4.x Kernel version is not fun. It would be much better the Proxmox team would provide a package. But I think they will not do anything with DRBD any more (see this post), even for DRBD8.x.

So the solution could be a DKMS package for the DRBD8.x Kernel module, which recompiles the Module automatically with each new installed Kernel.

BR,
Jasmin

Hello,
i use the guide in production. It work perfect.
Sure, leaving the choice of the drbd version at the installation would be better, but compiling from the source allows to have the latest version.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!