DRBD8.4.x or DRBD9 on PVE3.3

smbtech

Sep 24, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to Debian and Proxmox, and was wondering weather it is possible to upgrade the DRBD pkg that comes integrated into PVE3.3 distro from (I believe DRBD8.3.13) to DRBD8.4.xx, or even DRBD9? Reason is mainly the multi volume support and improved performance.
I have found a couple of articles in this forum, but I think I'm missing something... I attempted upgrading twice (once to 8.4, the other to 9), both time it "blew in my face" so to speak... Some of the pre-req pkgs will not install, or may require even more pre-req packages, and I'm not sure if it's because of me, or because it is a 3rd party distro (PVE) which is pretty lean and may not include some necessary components and modules.
Any help would be much appreciated!
thx!
/DL

long ago I used to use drbd source to compile the modules. after awhile it was easy.

if you go that route you'll need to remember to build for new kernels.

now days I'd look into using 'dkms ' to auto build as needed.

I'm sure there are good current docs on how to use drbd from source.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!