DRBD perfs with different kind of disk for each node

Fred91

Aug 20, 2010
Hello,

I plan to install a proxmox cluster with one node for production and ont node for backup. I will use drbd.

The fisrt server will use 15krpm SAS disks while the backup server will use standard SATA 7,2krpm.

When the main server will write to the DRBD volume, will it have to wait that the second node is synchronized ? In other term, are DRBD performances on one node depending on the slowest node ?

Thanks for your advices,

Fred

Yes and no. If you run a syncronized setup (protocol C in drbd) you will have to wait for the second node. However if you are using hardware RAID controller with BBU you might not be hit that hard - even though if you try to stream a large file I guess your limit will be the SATA drives.
Another (and recommended) way to do this is to have two identical servers and split the drives into two DRBD volumes. In this way you can have a bunch of VMs running on each server without getting complicated split brain situations with DRBD. This also makes your second server do something better than idle ;-).

Bo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!