[SOLVED] dpkg hanging when upgrading PVE kernel

Ovidiu

Renowned Member
Apr 27, 2014
any hints? I'm kinda stumped on how to fix this.

I did an apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade which kept hanging so I pressed CTRL+C
When running apt-get dist-upgrade again I got
Code:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

but this command also hangs for hours without results:
Code:
dpkg --configure -a
Setting up pve-kernel-5.4.128-1-pve (5.4.128-2) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 5.4.128-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.128-1-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 5.4.128-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.128-1-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.128-1-pve

Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.4.128-1-pve.postinst line 19.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.4.128-1-pve (--configure):
 installed pve-kernel-5.4.128-1-pve package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2

hi,

can you show us the output of df -h? maybe something is full

thx, I already suspected that but its not the case. I have 2 zfs pools. (I'm skipping a few irrelevant lines here)
Code:
df -h

Filesystem                                                                     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                                                                            63G     0   63G   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                                           13G  1.1G   12G   9% /run
rpool/ROOT/pve-1                                                               528G  8.9G  519G   2% /
tmpfs                                                                           63G   39M   63G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                                                          5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                                           63G     0   63G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
rpool                                                                          519G  128K  519G   1% /rpool
rpool/docker                                                                   519G   73M  519G   1% /var/lib/docker
rpool/ROOT                                                                     519G  128K  519G   1% /rpool/ROOT
sixer                                                                           82G  240K   82G   1% /sixer
/dev/fuse                                                                       30M   24K   30M   1% /etc/pve
rpool/data                                                                     519G  256K  519G   1% /rpool/data
sixer/backups                                                                  397G  315G   82G  80% /sixer/backups
sixer/Documents                                                                112G   31G   82G  28% /sixer/Documents
sixer/tmp                                                                      109G   28G   82G  26% /sixer/tmp
sixer/docker                                                                   124G   43G   82G  35% /sixer/docker

rpool basically has 519G free and sixer 82G but sixer only holds data

i guess you're booting with ZFS and UEFI?

please check if your ESP is full, see the output of proxmox-boot-tool status

you'll see something like:
Code:
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
74A6-91A9 is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.11.22-2-pve, 5.11.22-3-pve)

then check:
Code:
$ ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid/74A6-91A9 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Aug 25 10:26 /dev/disk/by-uuid/74A6-91A9 -> ../../sda2

which should give you the ESP partition, then you can mount it: mkdir /tmp/myesp; mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/myesp. afterwards check df -h again to see if /tmp/myesp is full, if it is you can make some space there by deleting the older kernels.

when done, unmount the directory and retry the package upgrade

Reactions: larfen
btw. nvme0 and nvme1 are mirrored and this is where PVE runs.
Code:
proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
C284-A04D is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.4.119-1-pve, 5.4.124-1-pve, 5.4.128-1-pve)
C284-C5E6 is configured with: uefi (versions: 5.4.119-1-pve, 5.4.124-1-pve, 5.4.128-1-pve)

Code:
ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid/C284-A04D
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 30 08:54 /dev/disk/by-uuid/C284-A04D -> ../../nvme0n1p2
Code:
mkdir /tmp/myesp
mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /tmp/myesp
df -h |grep myesp
/dev/nvme0n1p2                                                                 511M  173M  339M  34% /tmp/myesp

Code:
ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid/C284-C5E6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 30 08:54 /dev/disk/by-uuid/C284-C5E6 -> ../../nvme1n1p2

and then, while trying to unmount and mount the second location, I must have made a mistake somewhere. Now I can't even do a df -h anymore :-(
Code:
df -h
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory

I'm a bit lost and scared to reboot as this PVE is running on my NAS which hosts my VPN and my workstation I am writing from right now. And me working remotely for another 2 weeks, I guess I'll just have to leave it hanging like this until I return, unless someone can talk me through what could have gone wrong here.
no idea how I messed this up:
Code:
 mount -a
mount: /proc: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on proc, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Last edited:
and then, while trying to unmount and mount the second location, I must have made a mistake somewhere. Now I can't even do a df -h anymore :-(
can you check the command history?

can you check the command history?
For some reason, it ends like 3h ago?
Code:
ls -al /root/.bash*
-rw------- 1 root root 11177 Aug 25 09:19 /root/.bash_history
but you are on the right track, I'm on a weak connection and I have either copy / pasted something wrong or when reverse searching the bash history with CTRL+R selected something by mistake.
ok, pressing the arrow-up and going through my history, I found the culprit :-/
Code:
umount /dev/nvme0n1p2
how the heck did I unmount one partition of the zfs mirror where the OS is booting from?
I guess I really need to restart

for some reason, after a reboot and
Code:
dpkg --configure -a
followed by
Code:
apt --fix-broken install
all is good.
Hello

The same just happened to me.

First, i uninstalled Netdata and then rebooted but restart was not performed correctly because i saw in Proxmox GUI that system was up for 10 days. Also it was very slow to login to Putty.

I gave a reboot command from GUI and after a while server was rebooted alright this time.

Then with "pveupgrade" command i had the error message "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem."

With above commands it was fixed and proceed with update alright.

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!