"Download from URL" Error: invalid server response: '500 Can't connect to releases.ubuntu.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)' (500)

freedoN

Jun 3, 2022
I am new to PVE and these more advanced networking concepts.
How do I tell if the problem is on my end or on Ubuntu's end?

GUI... > ISO Images > Download from URL

Error
invalid server response: '500 Can't connect to releases.ubuntu.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)' (500)

copying and pasting this link
https://releases.ubuntu.com/22.04/ubuntu-22.04-live-server-amd64.iso
from this page
https://ubuntu.com/download/server
into the "Download from URL" URL: field and clicking the button Query URL

Last edited:
It complains about DNS resolution. What DNS server did you setup on your PVE host? Should be either your router or a public DNS server like 1.1.1.1.

Your output of cat /etc/network/interfaces and cat /etc/resolv.conf would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedoN
It complains about DNS resolution. What DNS server did you setup on your PVE host? Should be either your router or a public DNS server like 1.1.1.1.

Your output of cat /etc/network/interfaces and cat /etc/resolv.conf would be helpful.
IMG-1338.jpg

And 192.168.1.30 is your routers IP?

You can also run dig to test your DNS resolution and ping to test your routing.

For example dig releases.ubuntu.com or ping 91.189.91.124 (one of the IPs of releases.ubuntu.com).

Last edited:
It is the number within my routers range that I gave to Gateway and DNS server in network settings during installation
PVE network settings.png

I cannot reach google 8.8.8.8 with ping so my problem is not getting onto the internet. (verified the physical computer is connected to the internet)
IMG-1340.jpg

This is my first time using PVE and maybe I am not using the right course/tutorial for me and my goal of setting up a windows server and network (within PVE) to run an Active Directory network. I also want to learn all I can about using hypervisors... but I need to get moving with my job related AD studies... and ultimatly requirements of the comptia A+ and Network+ studies I am working on this year.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
You can't just use any IP of your routers IP range. The gateway IP is where packets will be sent where the target got a IP that is not part of your LAN. So usually you want to use the IP of your router there, as that is the machine that routes your traffic between the internet and your LAN. And if you set a IP as a DNS server address there has the be a DNS server that is answering the DNS requests. Usually your router is working as your local DNS server too. So put the IP of your router in as your gateway and DNS server and not just a random free IP of your routers subnet.

Right now it works like this:
PVE server wants to access releases.ubuntu.com but doesn't know its IP. So it ask 192.168.1.30 to resovle the domain but nothing is answering as there is no DNS server existing with that IP. And even if there would be DNS server that wouldn't help much. Then the DNS server would answer that releases.ubuntu.com's IP is 91.189.91.124 but that IP is outside of your LANs 192.168.1.0/24 IP range. So the PVE server doesn't know how to reach the server with that IP. So it send the packets to the gateway 192.168.1.30 because the gateway should know how to reach that internet server. But there again is no router at 192.168.1.30 so the packet goes nowhere.

So if your routers IP is 192.168.1.1 use that for the gateway and DNS server and it should work after a reboot or systemctl restart networking.

Last edited:
To make changes I used: nano /etc/network/interfaces
and used systemctl restart networking and rebooted server
Attempting to log in from browsers, they say

Unable to connect
Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.254:8006.
Safari said it could not establish a secure connection...

Is it correct I changed both the address(first line of settings nano shows) and the gateway to the address of the router?

/24 And, when setting the ip address initially installing PVE, I put the number 24 in the box next to the ip address(something to do with the subnet mask?) Should I leave that as is (my ip/24) in the settings as they appear in nano?

Also, after making changes with nano, in the PVE welcome message "Please use your web browser to configure..." the address has not changed from the original one I input during installation.

"/24" is the CIDR and means a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

You don't need to change the address (thats the IP of your PVE server) as long as this one is free and part of your LANs subnet. Just the "gateway" line in "/etc/network/interfaces" and "nameserver" line in "/etc/resolv.conf".

Last edited:
Thanks Dunuin. Still cannot log in. I will have to return to this tomorrow after gathering settings and posting them here.

Hello All,

I am new to proxmox and having trouble connecting to the internet like freedoN. It has to be the way the DNS is set up but messing with that last time is why I had to install it from scratch again. Once I lost the web interface, I couldn't get it back, no matter what I changed on the CLI.

1) I can ping 8.8.8.8, but I can't ping google.com.
2) I get the following error when I attempt to download an ISO using a link:
invalid server response: '500 Can't connect to releases.ubuntu.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)' (500)

I have my cat /etc/network/interfaces

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.07.43 PM.png

I have my cat /etc/resolv.conf

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.11.16 PM.png

and my /etc/network/interfaces

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.07.43 PM.png

If I were to open up my MAC OS and look at Network > TCP/IP my Router comes up as 192.168.1.1

This is week 2, install/setup attempt TWO the last time around, I had to reset everything, and I gave proxmox the benefit of the doubt because I screwed up by not having the server plugged into the internet, but this time I did have everything plugged in. I did an automated setup, I have NO switches, NO extra routers, NOTHING. I plugged the nic from the router from my ISP into the computer that I have proxmox on, then did a fresh install. I can access it from the web interface, but when I try to get the ubuntu ISO, it errors out, and when I try to ping a website, I get an error:

ping google.com
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

My goals are simple:
1) install promox
2) learn to use promox
3) branch out into other IT as I need and grow my abilities.
I have been trying to follow this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT98CRl2KxKHnlbYhtABg6cF50bYa8Ulo for the past 2 weeks and at every turn, there is some hiccup from the setup that keeps me from just simply learning the system.

To proxmox:

I know you guys are great at what you do, and I am sure you are way beyond my understanding. However, I'm obviously not the only noob that gets stuck like this. So for all, we know freedoN gave up or switched to something else. Sometimes people just want to plug in the computer, that they probably already invested in just for this purpose or repurposed it from an old computer, attach a hardline to a simple isp router, install and then learn proxmox. But since Proxmox doesn't connect like a MAC or Windows I now have to learn networking just to get to the part of learning Proxmox. All I ask is please take a look at your conversion rate of how many people download vs actually end up using the system. If the conversion rate is low, it just might be newbies are already intimidated to use and learn the system and not being able to plug in a computer they just bought and ran with it may deter them from learning more.

Is there even a tutorial out there that isn't run by some comp tia expert that will simply just explain in 45 min? "If you are a noob and all you have is the router your ISP gave you: plugin here, download here, see that address on (MAC, Windows, IOS) here's what that means, and here's what those other numbers mean now enter that number here, check this to make sure you have internet now let's learn proxmox." Wow amazing I guess since I'm not an expert and I was able to use this there is no other point in learning any other virtualizer and I should just grow and work with proxmox.

That means it will only work if you got a local DNS server running on the PVE host. Try your routers IP or some public DNS server like 8.8.8.8 instead of 127.0.0.1.
tried that the first time around. I changed nameserver 127.0.0.1 to 8.8.8.8 via:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 3.09.43 PM.png

when I did I lost the web interface and had to reinstall is that the same thing as changing nameserver 127.0.0.1?

so:
address 192.168.1.25/24 (keep the same)
nameserver 127.0.0.1 (change to 8.8.8.8)
gateway 192.168.1.1 (keep as is)

AGAIN If I were to open up my MAC OS and look at Network > TCP/IP my Router comes up as 192.168.1.1 so once I go into nano and change this and restart I will have access to the web interface and will be able to start learning the system?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!