Doubt regarding HA fence on Proxmox

Jun 28, 2019
Hi,

I use three node cluster with proxmox 6 and CephRDB for virtual machines.

Is fence really necessary for virtual machines running over a ceph rdb cluster? no other shared resources exist.. soh that's why I'm confusing about the fence requirement on this HA cluster.

My self understand about CEPH is that it does not depend on Proxmox HA (PACEMAKER) to work. So, fencing is this case would not be necessary, since CEPH has built-in services to control the read/write locking for shared storage and protect itself against access corruption.

Anyone could explain if I'm wrong?

Last edited:
My self understand about CEPH is that it does not depend on Proxmox HA (PACEMAKER) to work. So, fencing is this case would not be necessary, since CEPH has built-in services to control the read/write locking for shared storage and protect itself against access corruption.
Not in all cases, eg. krbd containers don't have locking (yet). And I suppose it is not the only shared resource used on the cluster. Better be more cautious with data then not.

More general, for HA to work fencing is needed to make sure that a resource is in its desired state only once on the cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!