doing crazy things with proxmox - today: try ressource constrained device :)

RolandK

Renowned Member
Mar 5, 2019
i just managed

- to update my igel m340c bios for being capable of uefi boot (which is required to hack the bios to enable svm/vmx) via dumping and copying the bios from another m340c with more recent bios
- to install proxmox 7.2 with zfs/zstd compression onto that (4 gb msata ssd, 2 gb ram)
- to downsize proxmox memory requirements a little bit
- to install a debian 11 vm and have it up and running with ssh
- to still have free space of 1gb

think that's the most crazy thing i ever did with proxmox or some thin client so far

1666988725389.png

what no-sense/crazy things do you do with proxmox ?

Wow, that's great!
I have the same model, with old bios (without uefi and virtualization options)
How did you do that?
can you describe it to me??
All the best!

Thank you RolandK for help. Everything worked perfectly according to the attached instructions

i just managed

- to update my igel m340c bios for being capable of uefi boot (which is required to hack the bios to enable svm/vmx) via dumping and copying the bios from another m340c with more recent bios
- to install proxmox 7.2 with zfs/zstd compression onto that (4 gb msata ssd, 2 gb ram)
- to downsize proxmox memory requirements a little bit
- to install a debian 11 vm and have it up and running with ssh
- to still have free space of 1gb

think that's the most crazy thing i ever did with proxmox or some thin client so far

View attachment 42710

what no-sense/crazy things do you do with proxmox ?
Thanks RolandK for the help. it worked perfectly as per your instructions.

Attachments

• 20230807_230112 2.jpg
    20230807_230112 2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230807_231026 2.jpg
    20230807_231026 2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: RolandK
Would it be possible to get the procedure as well. I already got to the virtualization done on multiple M340C using the H2ouve procedure.
BUT this Fifth one is running a really old BIOS and seems to recognize my 8GB SODIMM as 4GB...
I am guessing this is just old BIOS version related. So I need to download a newer BIOS....

there is no legal way to get bios for download on the net

if you already own m340c with uefi firmware, all you need to do is:

1. have debian on old m340c

2. get flashrom utility :
# dpkg --list|grep flashrom
ii flashrom 1.2-5 amd64 Identify, read, write, erase, and verify BIOS/ROM/flash chips

3. then read bios from running system and copy into file :

root@m340c:~# flashrom -r test.rom --programmer internal -c W25Q64.V

4. transfer file to m340c with old bios (also debian installed there with flashrom utility)

5. write copy of bios to flash:

# flashrom -w igel-m340c-uefi.rom --programmer internal -c W25Q64.V

6. reboot, voila

use at your own risk (i have not heard of any bricked device yet)

Never mind... I just found out that the RAM is 4G but their is written 8G on the box. Figured it out when I swapped the SODIMM with a known good working M340C running 8G: 4G as well. Huh... So looking well to inscriptions : 4G not 8G. They sold me a new 4G SODIMM in the box with publicity of 4G, but the barcodes of the store said 8G... Some mixup in their inventory . So whatever it is fixed.
Anyway, I noticed you wanted to upgrade the BIOS to enable svm/vmx. You do know you can to this using H2OUVE as well. That is how I did my 4 * M340C Proxmox machines.

The problem I am having with my igel m340c device (which is only used as a pihole and a small family media server serving the house) is it restarts randomly, with no logging or any valid reason. I read somewhere this is common when you run a plain linux install and updating bios fixes this.
Updating does not seem straightforward at all. According to the BIOS it is running M340C V:3.A. 13-03202018 with a release date of 03/20/2018. Would the update descried here fix my issue, or is it even worth trying? As I write this message with the Igel inside the BIOS screen so I could copy the version number, the machine restarted again without warning, so this time not even in linux.

>As I write this message with the Igel inside the BIOS screen so I could copy the version number, the machine restarted again without warning, so this time not even in linux.

so , then this is a hardware problem. i don't think that you can get rid of this via update.

>As I write this message with the Igel inside the BIOS screen so I could copy the version number, the machine restarted again without warning, so this time not even in linux.

so , then this is a hardware problem. i don't think that you can get rid of this via update.
Well that’s what I thought. I acquired 3 of these clients for a really good price, my idea was to set up a small cluster but I just haven’t had the time. I have however put a basic install of Debian on each and all 3 of them randomly restart. I cannot find the web site that said an update to the bios cured someone else’s random reboots, which is a shame. I’ve tried replacement ram on one of the systems and it made no difference, a bit lost for ideas now

mhhh, 3 clients with the same problem? they all reboot theirself, even when in bios? how often does that happen? did you ask in igel community / slack? i guess that's a better place.

mhhh, 3 clients with the same problem? they all reboot theirself, even when in bios? how often does that happen? did you ask in igel community / slack? i guess that's a better place.
The timeframe is random and can happen anytime. From a few minutes to I think the longest period online is 14 days. They restart quickly so it’s not too much of an issue unless it happens when media is being streamed.

I have not tried anywhere else, I was wondering if an updated bios was worth a try? Could you possibly send me the one mentioned previously please? I’m sure it won’t do any harm and I have 2 sitting spare at the moment

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!