Does RAID 0 increase I/O for VMs & Containers ?

moxfan

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

My tests on bare metal servers show that read and write operations are a third faster with RAID 0 compared to RAID 1. The question is: Would that boost in I/O speed get reflected inside VMs and LXCs?

RAID 0 does not provide any redundancy. So while faster, It does not protect you from data loss.
That is why many people use RAID10, which combines the advantages of RAID 0 and RAID 1.

RAID1 can handle more read IOPS, RAID0 can also handle more write IOPS. I went from one disk (which ZFS also calls RAID0) to RAID1 and then to RAID10. I have not really noticed the speed inside a VM (like my desktop, its quick enough) but snapshot backups in the background of all VMs did get a lot faster.
What I remember that helped me most (when using 1 or 2 drives) was a ZFS pool for the host separate from the VMs and containers. A busy VM would sometimes slow down the host or vice versa (and the Proxmox filesystem does not need to be very fast). This was with version 3 or 4. I don't know if this still applies.

I am speculating you only have 2 disks so are limited in your options, if you really must use raid0, then make sure you do backups, a storage failure will happen sooner or later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!