Hello everyone,
I've been using Proxmox since around 2013 and, over the years, I've participated in the community through the forums, Bugzilla, and other channels.
Recently, I've been considering contributing directly to the project, particularly to Proxmox Datacenter Manager (PDM). There are a few features currently listed on the PDM roadmap that would be very useful for one of my own environments, and rather than relying on third-party tools, I'd be interested in implementing some of them myself and contributing the changes upstream.
Currently, I manage more than 10 small Proxmox clusters, as well as several standalone Proxmox hosts, and I'm using PDM to get a centralized overview of these environments.
Recently, we had an issue at one customer where a VM was created but was never included in any backup policy. Because of this, I'd like to implement a Backup tab in the Remotes view, based on the "backup-job overview" item currently listed on the PDM roadmap.
My initial idea for the overview would be something like:
When selecting a remote, the right-side panel could display:
Before spending time implementing this, I'd like to know whether this kind of external contribution would be considered for inclusion in PDM.
If so, is there any specific contribution workflow, coding guideline, development documentation, or best-practice policy that external contributors should follow before starting the implementation?
I'd prefer to align the implementation with the project's architecture and expectations from the beginning rather than develop something that would require major changes before it could be accepted upstream.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
I've been using Proxmox since around 2013 and, over the years, I've participated in the community through the forums, Bugzilla, and other channels.
Recently, I've been considering contributing directly to the project, particularly to Proxmox Datacenter Manager (PDM). There are a few features currently listed on the PDM roadmap that would be very useful for one of my own environments, and rather than relying on third-party tools, I'd be interested in implementing some of them myself and contributing the changes upstream.
Currently, I manage more than 10 small Proxmox clusters, as well as several standalone Proxmox hosts, and I'm using PDM to get a centralized overview of these environments.
Recently, we had an issue at one customer where a VM was created but was never included in any backup policy. Because of this, I'd like to implement a Backup tab in the Remotes view, based on the "backup-job overview" item currently listed on the PDM roadmap.
My initial idea for the overview would be something like:
| Name | Guests | Guests without backup policy |
|---|---|---|
| cluster-a | 42 | 3 |
| cluster-b | 18 | 0 |
- Configured backup jobs/policies
- Node, storage, schedule, mode, and current status
- Guests covered by each backup job
- A filter/button such as Show: Guests Without Backup Job
- A list of guests that are currently not covered by any backup job
Before spending time implementing this, I'd like to know whether this kind of external contribution would be considered for inclusion in PDM.
If so, is there any specific contribution workflow, coding guideline, development documentation, or best-practice policy that external contributors should follow before starting the implementation?
I'd prefer to align the implementation with the project's architecture and expectations from the beginning rather than develop something that would require major changes before it could be accepted upstream.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.