[SOLVED] Does Proxmox 8 Work on Modern Computers? YES!

If you use "sudo -s" or "su -" to become root then roots login scripts will be run and path adjusted.
I suggest you invest in one of the many books that explain basic Linux usage rather than using the forum as a tutorial class.

The Power fault message seems like a hardware problem to me
The two pcieport that are throwing that power fault message is that there are no drivers for it...one is the Nvidia NVS 310 (the minimum graphics for all Dell Precision 5820 and is in the first slot. The second pcieport message is the third slot is an Intel QAT 8950, that also has no drivers; however, that device is for a VM (not set up yet) which had the drivers built-in the OS.

If you use "sudo -s" or "su -" to become root then roots login scripts will be run and path adjusted.
I suggest you invest in one of the many books that explain basic Linux usage rather than using the forum as a tutorial class.
Okay...so would that path adjustment caused this update-grub to not executing, see below. How would one correct this?
one article suggest installing Grub Customizer...is there another way without install anything?

root@server1:/home/administrator# ls /sbin/update*
/sbin/update-ca-certificates /sbin/update-default-wordlist /sbin/update-grub2 /sbin/update-passwd /sbin/update-smart-drivedb
/sbin/update-catalog /sbin/update-dictcommon-aspell /sbin/update-initramfs /sbin/update-pciids
/sbin/update-default-aspell /sbin/update-dictcommon-hunspell /sbin/update-locale /sbin/update-rc.d
/sbin/update-default-ispell /sbin/update-grub /sbin/update-mime /sbin/update-shells
root@server1:/home/administrator# ~
bash: /root: Is a directory
root@server1:/home/administrator# cd /sbin
root@server1:/sbin# update-grub
bash: update-grub: command not found
root@server1:/sbin# ls -l update-g*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 64 Feb 8 2023 update-grub
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Apr 23 14:55 update-grub2 -> update-grub
bash: update-grub: command not found
root@server1:/sbin#

Why do you ask questions if you already know the answers?

The command is not failing to be executed, it is not found. The /sbin directory is not on non-root default search path, nor is the current directory. So you must specify "/sbin/update-grub" or "./update-grub". Please buy a book on Linux.

Last edited:
Regarding the power error, I will point out that the error is very early in the boot based on the timestamp. This is well before any Nvidia driver would be loaded, that happens after the initrd is mounted, which happens later. So I don't think it is caused by a lack of driver.

FWIW, there is a "nouveau" driver for Nvidia that is included with mainline kernels and would normally be the default until you install the proprietary one. It may not support all features or be especially fast but it should allow for a basic console. To see if that is loaded, do "lsmod | grep nouveau".

Lesson is to not buy Nvidia if you want to use it with Linux. Their Linux support has always been terrible.

Please buy a book on Linux.
Will do later...here is the result:

root@server1:/sbin# ./update-grub
./update-grub: 3: exec: grub-mkconfig: not found
root@server1:/sbin# /sbin/update-grub
/sbin/update-grub: 3: exec: grub-mkconfig: not found

Please note that I am following this guide: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm
There is no mention of grub-mkconfig...if it's already there, why the need to mkconfig?

To see if that is loaded, do "lsmod | grep nouveau".

root@server1:/sbin# lsmod | grep nouveau
nouveau 2793472 0
mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveau
drm_ttm_helper 16384 1 nouveau
ttm 106496 2 drm_ttm_helper,nouveau
drm_display_helper 208896 1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper 241664 3 drm_display_helper,nouveau
video 69632 2 dell_wmi,nouveau
drm 684032 6 drm_kms_helper,drm_display_helper,drm_ttm_helper,ttm,nouveau
i2c_algo_bit 20480 3 nvidiafb,igb,nouveau
wmi 40960 8 video,intel_wmi_thunderbolt,dell_wmi,wmi_bmof,dell_smbios,dell_wmi_descriptor,mxm_wmi,nouveau

Lesson is to not buy Nvidia if you want to use it with Linux. Their Linux support has always been terrible.
Yes, I am learning the hard way...I assumed that since it's the lowest graphics for the Dell Precision 5820 and that I didn't need fancy graphics card, all would be good. I remembered reading that Nivida was not compatible with Proxmox 8. Also learning my experience with Macs and MacOS should not be assumed with the strict Linux that Debian is.

Last edited:
Hi Nollimox, running into strange problems no one else has can be frustrating.

Maybe update-grub is not found because grub is not installed / used on your install.

Please check with
dpkg -l |grep grub

If you install proxmox from the proxmox iso onto uefi it will use proxmox-boot-tool by default, but will set a hook so that update-grub will still work and trigger proxmox-boot-tool in the background.

Your Debian install is probably using efibootmgr if grub is not installed

Maybe update-grub is not found because grub is not installed / used on your install.
Please see post #43

If you install proxmox from the proxmox iso onto uefi it will use proxmox-boot-tool
Installing Proxmox 8 results in the booting up not completed...that's why I had to install Debian 12.1 then put Proxmox package on to.
Following the steps (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm), all was going great until I ready update-grub...second to last step...wow!

Here:

root@server1:/sbin# dpkg -l |grep grub
ii grub-common 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
ii grub-pc 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
ii grub-pc-bin 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS modules)
ii grub2-common 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)

Maybe grub-mkconfig isn't on your path either. Try using "su -" to become root. Do I have to come over there and hold your hand?

ETA: I think the right answer is to install Windows on that machine and user hyper-v.

Last edited:
Please see post #43

Installing Proxmox 8 results in the booting up not completed...that's why I had to install Debian 12.1 then put Proxmox package on to.
Following the steps (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm), all was going great until I ready update-grub...second to last step...wow!

Here:

root@server1:/sbin# dpkg -l |grep grub
ii grub-common 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
ii grub-pc 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
ii grub-pc-bin 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS modules)
ii grub2-common 2.06-13 amd64 GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)

Sorry, did not see that.

Please post your PATH ENVIRONMENT:
echo $PATH

Something is strange on your system ;)

Last edited:
I think the right answer is to install Windows on that machine and user hyper-v.
Thank you for the recommendation; however, I am not a Windows fan...I like Proxmox.
I thought thought, with the Debian and the Proxmox manuals, that's sufficient reading, isn't it?

Last edited:
Sorry, did not see that.

echo $PATH

Yes, I agree and I am thinking it might be best install all over again since it pretty fast and I already have the Iso.
I am thinking maybe the hard drive is still in UEFI mode.

root@server1:/sbin# echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

Wondered why games!

Just saw this on on Stackexchange: "Installing GRUB to a specific partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) has some caveats and is only needed in some special circumstances, so you should not do that unless you positively know that it's needed for your case." I had to do that.

Last edited:
Sorry, did not see that.

echo $PATH

Yes, I agree and I am thinking it might be best install all over again since it pretty fast and I already have the Iso.
I am thinking maybe the hard drive is still in UEFI mode.

Wondered why games!

Just saw this on on Stackexchange: "Installing GRUB to a specific partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) has some caveats and is only needed in some special circumstances, so you should not do that unless you positively know that it's needed for your case." I had to do that.
OK sbin IS Missing from your path

Do

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

and update-grub again

Reactions: Nollimox
He is using "su" to get root and ignoring the advice I gave multiple time to use "su -" or to install sudo. The - is important! See "man su" for details.
administrator@server1:~$ su
Password:
root@server1:/home/administrator# nano /etc/hosts
root@server1:/home/administrator# nano /etc/hosts
root@server1:/home/administrator# hostname --ip-address
root@server1:/home/administrator# echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list
root@server1:/home/administrator#

Why are you saying that?

The - is important!
...Okay never notice the dash:cool:

Last edited:
OK sbin IS Missing from your path

Do

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

and update-grub again
Thank You! :cool:

root@server1:/sbin# export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-12-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-12-pve
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
done

All left is to remove OS Prober...

Have fun

The explanation is su keeps the Environment of the Former User, su - uses the Environment for root

Reactions: Nollimox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!