Does PMG support "plus addressing" / "sieve subaddressing" (mailbox+sieve@domain)?

ecarlseen

May 24, 2024
I can't seem to find anything for this in the PMG documentation.

RFC 5233 specifies how this works, but the gist is that the username portion of the recipient address can be immediately followed by a plus sign and a sieve tag used for sorting, before the @ and domain name. For example, GMail and other mailservers will allow you to automatically file inbound mail based on the sieve tag. Sieve tags are not considered when routing mail - when doing an LDAP or SMTP username check you discard the sieve tag when performating the match.

This is still a "proposed standard" RFC, but it is very widely implemented and supported (MS Exchange / 365, GMail, Postfix, Exim, etc).

I know how to configure the underlying Postfix MTA to handle sieve subaddressing, but was wondering if it is supported by rules and other parts of the overall PMG system or if I'd just be making a mess.

Last edited:
The default postfix configuration shipped with PMG sets the recipient_delimiter option to '+' - https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#recipient_delimiter

what else would you need? or asked differently what exactly is not working for you?
Stoiko,

Thanks for your response! I'm looking at doing a test implemenation, this is a feature we use extensively, it's not mentioned in the documentation, and I wanted to make sure that it's reasonably supported before we dive in. Looks like it's a go.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!