Documentation on how to outbound relay from Office 365?

Sep 17, 2020
I have found several threads none with an answer on how to properly allow a domain to relay outbound email from their O365 to PMG to then deliver.
Any direction appreciated.

Not sure I get the question 100% right - but if you're asking how to configure office 365 to use PMG as a 'smarthost' or relay - that would best be asked in a office 365 forum (or the microsoft support).

from a quick search on the internet - this looks like it might help:
https://help.comodo.com/topic-157-1-288-13904-.html

(additionally the office 365 docs seem helpful as well)

I hope this helps!

That is helpful, thank you, but then what configuration would I need on the PMG side to accept those messages.
I see there is a smarthost setting that allows me to configure a different port for that functionality, but how do i have some kind of ACL to allow certain servers to relay via PMG?

So there is no way to control what is relayed from as far as domain?
Not sure I understand the question completely, but I'll try to write down the access control in PMG:
* on the internal port (defaults to 26) all IP's listed as relay networks (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Networks) can relay mail
* on the external port mail is accepted for all domains listed as relay domain, with additional checks in place (the Mail Proxy whitelist (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Whitelist), recipient verification, Reject unknown Clients, Reject unknown recipients, Greylisting, and SPF checks in the mail proxy

this can be adapted, by changing the postfix configuration using the templateing system (https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine).
* use the smtpd configuration in master.cf for the internal port to adapt settings for the internal port, use main.cf for the external port

I hope this explains it.

Besides restricting it in a firewall above PMG, is there any type of control for outbound besides whats in relay domains?
I ask because the PMG is on the cloud, and the locations are remote.

Thanks

Last edited:
Can you tell me how did you manage to add connect on O365 on port 26 ?
sorry - don't have experience with o365 as Mailplatform - however maybe the wiki-article can help:

https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index....ox_Mail_Gateway#Configuring_Outbound_Scanning

(you can change the ports in PMG's configuration - or you could do a port redirection on a router/firewall in front of PMG - if you have multiple public IPs you can also use 2 IPs and adapt the configuration templates for postfix' master.cf)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!