Do I have a RAID running?

devawpz

Sep 21, 2020
I was running VMs and having some trouble choosing the storage, because whenever I chose a storage volume, it seemed the files remained in the other volume. I've moved the VM to local (another location), and touched this test file in the directory to see if it behaved the same in the directories:

Code:
root@host:~# tree /mnt/sdb/images
/mnt/sdb/images
└── 100
    └── test

1 directory, 1 file
root@host:~# tree /mnt/sdd/images
/mnt/sdd/images
└── 100
    └── test

1 directory, 1 file
root@host:~# rm /mnt/sdb/images/100/test
root@host:~# tree /mnt/sdb/images
/mnt/sdb/images
└── 100

1 directory, 0 files
root@host:~# tree /mnt/sdd/images
/mnt/sdd/images
└── 100

1 directory, 0 files
root@host:~#

Wow. Deleted the file in one place, and it got deleted on the other.

Am I running some kind of RAID without knowing it? Because there's a possibility a RAID would have been configured in this machine. Or is this some sort of Proxmox feature? I may have inadvertently turned something on, like some kind of replication. But I don't know how to begin to look into it. Sorry about the ignorance, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
hi,

do you see any devices like /dev/md[N] when you run fdisk -l ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!