DNS settings to virtual machine

M

mikemead

Hi,

I have problems to get my domain getting resolved.

I got one host machine from a provider running proxmox v2.1 : WAN 46.H.H.H / LAN IP 10.254.254.254.
I own one domaine: example.com where dns settings at my registrar are: 46.H.H.H and dns.registrar.registrar.
I run one host one vm on ubuntu server 12.04x64 LAN IP 10.0.6.1.
Host and mv have /etc/hosts with every name/domain and ip.
/etc/resolv.conf have DNS every servers.
I opened port 53 to vm.
I have set zone 'example.com' and reverve on vm (via webmin but also check in commandline).

Result: not working, unable to resolve ip from example.com.

Do I have to use bind from host? Or what is the right way to make it work?

Thanks

I don't exactly understand what are you trying to ask but anyway...

1. check connectivity between hosts with ping. If you get no reply check routing, firewall...
2. to check hostname on "ubuntu server" run this command:

Code:
hostname --fqdn

it should return servername.example.com or servername

3. You can manualy edit /etc/hosts or windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts on each machine to "resolve" any IP address.
For example:
Code:
10.0.6.1     example.com [I]servername[/I].example.com www.example.com

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned the router settings between you WAN connection and your LAN connection (you are NAT'ing). That is where everything is going to be happening.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!