DNS server on the same hardware with Proxmox or differently ?

merox

Jan 12, 2022
Hello, I have a question for my homelab, I want to configure a dns server for my local home for all proxmox VMs to be accesible on any device in the network via my router, but how It's the best variant to configure the dns server, as a VM on proxmox or on a raspberry pi ? Thank you!

Both will work most of the time, but running it in a VM (or container) on the Proxmox host means that the host (and other VMs and containers if they are configured to use that same DNS) cannot resolve websites when the DNS VM (or container) has not started. So the questions is: do you want to be able to run apt update (for example) on the host when your DNS VM/container is down?

Reactions: merox
It's generally good practice to run DNS internally, that way your DNS lookups only leave the internal network when they have to which is just more efficient use of bandwidth. However, @avw is right, that does mean DNS will fail if your VM/container is offline but in those cases it's not a major issue to temporarily work around if necessary

Reactions: merox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!