DNS Lookup Delays and (Possibly) Related Issues

skallox

Jul 2, 2016
I've recently switched to Proxmox from Xenserver and while I'm loving the feature set and flexibility I believe I'm having some DNS issues with my installs. I'm very much a home user so if there is anything I can provide to assist with the troubleshooting please let me know.

I believe I am having DNS issues because apt-get update (or upgrade) commands on the host hang at "0% [connecting to ftp.ca.debian.org] [Connecting to security.debian.org]" for tens of seconds. The commands hang similarly in ubuntu VMs and containers. Most applications are still functional despite this lag with long page load times being the most obvious symptom.

While I believe the issue is related my plex VM and container demonstrate a peculiar behavior of not being able to detect their own local IPs (http://imgur.com/5nzBul2). This has largely left the service unusable.

This behaviour has been demonstrated on a brix with a Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller and a supermicro board with a X552/X557-AT 10gbe NIC. Neither device shows these problems running ubuntu live keys.

I've run speed tests and I get my full internet and network speed in the VMs. I'm really at a loss. I'd love to keep using proxmox but I need plex to work. If anyone can point me in the right direction on how to fix this or maybe even provide a solution I would be very grateful.

UPDATE: I would'nt call the problem solved but disabling IPv6 in the VMs/Containers sped up the process and got plex working properly. I'd still like to see if there is anything that can be done fix this.

Last edited:
Hi
If I understand you right the apt-get update command stalls for a some 30 seconds and then finally go on ?
In that case I would adive you to check the content of /etc/resolv.conf in the machine showing this behaviour.
Make sure all the DNS servers mentionned there are reachable.

You can try that with the host command

host google.at ip_of_dns_server in /etc/resolv.conf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!