Dlink DUB-E250 2.5Gbps ethernet adapter reports no auto-negotiation and only half duplex?

FYI for anyone else with a RTL8156/RTL8156B USB to 2.5G Ethernet adapter I found that the problem was while there is the realtek driver now in the Linux kernel (currently running Proxmox with v5.15), it seems the cdc_ncm is being loaded for the USB Adapters. You'll notice that the adatper only syncs at 2.5G Half Duplex not full. The Realtek driver download includes a 50-usb-realtek-net.rules file that should be placed in /etc/udev/rules.d/. Rebooting the host or unloading the cdc_ncm driver fixes the problem and picks up the right driver (no need to install/build the RTL drivers) and these now work with bridges/VLANs - also looks like it works with LACP (802.3ad)..!

Steps:
nano /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb-realtek-net.rules

Copy the below contents.

Code:
# This is used to change the default configuration of Realtek USB ethernet adapters

ACTION!="add", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"

# Modify this to change the default value
ENV{REALTEK_MODE1}="1"
ENV{REALTEK_MODE2}="3"

# Realtek
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="815[2,3,5,6]", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="8053", ATTR{bcdDevice}=="e???", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}"

# Samsung
ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="a101", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# Lenovo
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="304f", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3052", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3054", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3057", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3062", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3069", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3082", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3098", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="7205", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720a", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720b", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720c", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="7214", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="721e", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="8153", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="a359", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="a387", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# TP-LINK
ATTR{idVendor}=="2357", ATTR{idProduct}=="0601", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# Nvidia
ATTR{idVendor}=="0955", ATTR{idProduct}=="09ff", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# LINKSYS
ATTR{idVendor}=="13b1", ATTR{idProduct}=="0041", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

LABEL="usb_realtek_net_end"

Then reboot or run:

Code:
sudo rmmod cdc_mbim
sudo rmmod cdc_ncm
service udev restart
I created an account just to thank you, you're the real mvp bro.

Reactions: nem and Hofi
Thanks for this also @nem
I was struggling with these usb adapters but they now seem to be working perfectly after adding what you said.

One extra thing I found was to ensure they are connected to Powered usb ports!
Mine randomly disconnected until I discovered this.
Seems obvious now...

FYI for anyone else with a RTL8156/RTL8156B USB to 2.5G Ethernet adapter I found that the problem was while there is the realtek driver now in the Linux kernel (currently running Proxmox with v5.15), it seems the cdc_ncm is being loaded for the USB Adapters. You'll notice that the adatper only syncs at 2.5G Half Duplex not full. The Realtek driver download includes a 50-usb-realtek-net.rules file that should be placed in /etc/udev/rules.d/. Rebooting the host or unloading the cdc_ncm driver fixes the problem and picks up the right driver (no need to install/build the RTL drivers) and these now work with bridges/VLANs - also looks like it works with LACP (802.3ad)..!

Steps:

Copy the below contents.

Code:
# This is used to change the default configuration of Realtek USB ethernet adapters

ENV{REALTEK_MODE1}="1"
ENV{REALTEK_MODE2}="3"

# Realtek
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="815[2,3,5,6]", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="8053", ATTR{bcdDevice}=="e???", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}"

# Samsung
ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="a101", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# Lenovo
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="304f", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3052", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3054", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3057", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3062", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3069", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3082", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="3098", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="7205", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720a", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720b", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="720c", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="7214", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="721e", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="8153", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="a359", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"
ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="a387", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# TP-LINK
ATTR{idVendor}=="2357", ATTR{idProduct}=="0601", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# Nvidia
ATTR{idVendor}=="0955", ATTR{idProduct}=="09ff", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

# LINKSYS
ATTR{idVendor}=="13b1", ATTR{idProduct}=="0041", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

Then reboot or run:

Code:
sudo rmmod cdc_mbim
sudo rmmod cdc_ncm
service udev restart
you save my day :D

Hi there,

Coming late to this party. Has anyone managed to get the Asus USB-C2500 working?

I'm running the last version of Proxmox (kernel 6.2) and I copied/modified the udev rules file to match my adapter but I cannot make it work at all. It drives me nuts...

Device detected in dmesg is the following one:
usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0b05, idProduct=1976, bcdDevice=31.05

Added the corresponding line to "/etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb-realtek-net.rules" file and adapting from the Realtek line:
ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTR{idProduct}=="1976", ATTR{bcdDevice}=="31.05", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE2}"

I have also fake install cdc_ncm to avoid having to load when I plug the USB NIC in "/etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf"
install cdc_ncm /bin/false

Even loading r8152 by hand does not seem to work at all. I cannot see a new network adapter, just one line in dmesg:
registered new interface driver r8152

I have 6x of those adapters and I hope I will make them work soon...

Thanks,

D.

Hi again,

A quick update as I made progress. For those who have the Asus C2500, you will need to rebuild the driver module for your kernel.

You need to patch 2.16.3 with some configurations for Asus prior building the module (https://github.com/wget/realtek-r8152-linux/issues/30). In 2.17.1, configurations are already in there (although not split in two like it is for the other manufacturers but it is a detail).

I tried with 2.16.3 (https://github.com/wget/realtek-r8152-linux) first and it seems to work
[ 155.046265] r8152: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 155.048762] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152
[ 155.177673] usb 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 155.262272] r8152 2-1:1.0 eth0: v2.16.3 (2022/07/06)
[ 155.262286] r8152 2-1:1.0 eth0: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.

[ 155.271025] r8152 2-1:1.0 enx04421a51046b: renamed from eth0

Then, I updated to 2.17.1 (https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software) which works but one error is thrown while loading the module.
[ 2238.454876] usbcore: registered new device driver r8152-cfgselector
[ 2238.596455] r8152-cfgselector 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 2238.656860] r8152 2-1:1.0 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): netif_napi_add_weight() called with weight 256
[ 2238.657134] r8152 2-1:1.0 eth0: v2.17.1 (2023/06/13)
[ 2238.657142] r8152 2-1:1.0 eth0: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.

[ 2238.657178] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152
[ 2238.675968] r8152 2-1:1.0 enx04421a51046b: renamed from eth0

The problem is the following one, not sure it is important though.
(unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): netif_napi_add_weight() called with weight 256

Finally, I had to copy/update the udev configuration file:
# ASUSTek
ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTR{idProduct}=="1976", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="$env{REALTEK_MODE1}"

Do remember to remove any fake install you would have put in modprobe blacklist about the CDC NVM driver because it seems to block udev from detecting the USB NIC with r8152 (which is kind of logic as we are telling the kernel we have already install the CDC NVM driver).

Have fun ;-)

D.

Last edited:

Steps:

Copy the below contents.

Code:

ENV{REALTEK_MODE1}="1"
ENV{REALTEK_MODE2}="3"

# Realtek

# Samsung

# Lenovo

# TP-LINK

# Nvidia

# LINKSYS

Then reboot or run:

Code:
sudo rmmod cdc_mbim
sudo rmmod cdc_ncm
service udev restart

I know this is an old topic but just wanted to say thank you very much ! :) This saved me from a whole lot of searching and debugging as to why it only said half duplex.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!